I recently bought and have been using a HRM. I used the CD tool that came with the monitor to find my target rates for different types of runs. The problem I find is that I am in my heart rate range, but running at a very slow pace, like a 10 min/mile pace. I know I need to be running faster, but from what I've been reading, HRM's are a good way to not "overtrain". Any Advice?

Do you have an accurate resting and max heart rate? To find resting heart rate, you should take it first thing when you wake up, or if your hrm remembers the minimum reading, wear it while you sleep one night. For max heart rate, many people use the age formula, but it isn't very accurate. You can find your max by running intervals or hill repeats. There are several threads on training with HRMs in both the Mid-Packers and Starting Line, just browse around and you should be able to find answers to all of your questions.

Finding out your actual Max Heart Rate (MHR) and Resting Heart Rate (RHR) should be one of the first things you figure out and work with those numbers

The standard formula to calculate your MHR based on your age is

220-age

So for me its 184 (220-36)

When I used a HRM I used my actual MRH that I attained , which was 175.

The other key number is your RHR, which is best taken first thing in the morning when you first wake up.

Once you have the MHR and RHR numbers you can come up your percentages based on your MHR.

If you are interested, I have a spreadsheet that will calculate the percentages for you based on your MHR and RHR. It calculates is 5% intervals inclusive from 95% to 15% of MHR. I can email it to you so you can work with it yourself

Wouldn't you know it. Right when I was about to go running after posting this the battery on my strap died. It's a Polar strap too...which means I have to send it in to get it replaced.....

Murphy's Law strikes again!

I use the HRM method all the time, on my easy runs I allow my heart rate to go up 10 bpm or so, (supposed to be 152, I let it stay in the high 150's low 160's if I feel good.)

Besides, it isn't the speed, it is the time put in on those workouts.

Best of Luck.

Might as well send the watch back too. That way they replace both batteries
They have a pretty good turnaround usually about 2 weeks