So most of the time I run without a HRM, but I've been playing with it for the last few days just for fun. I've also been slowing down my easy runs because of what Sue posted about running slower (I'm a sheep.)

The last couple of runs I've been doing are right at an 8:34 pace (7.0 MPH). My HR has stayed right around 155 BPM and that's ~70% of my max HR.

Yesterday, I rode the trainer hard for 45 minutes and easy for 15 then jumped over to the treadmill and ran at my same 8:34 pace for 4 miles and my heart rate only went above 150 BPM once or twice and only for a few seconds toward the end of the run. At the end of the run, my average HR was only 144 BPM.

What's y'alls take on why my HR would be 10 beats lower per minute at the same pace and incline?

Been using A HRM for training for 1 1/2 years & notice same.

I'm always 5-10 beats lower is I run in the morning than the afternoon. I also believe it depends on your stress level that day.

Jusy my :twocents:

155 = 70%, thats a max HR of 221 8O

Other things to effect HR are sleep, hydration, and caffeine.

Not if you use the Kevorkian method.
(MaxHR - Resting HR) x .7 + Resting HR = 70% of Max HR
so for me...
(198 - 45) x .7 + 45 = 152

John, wrong guy for me to answer here. RHR of 40 100%=173

I would not be worried, may be you are just getting fitter.

If Joe and John are only a few years diff in age and 5 bpm resting diff, how can the 100% mark range be 25 beats apart?

Depending on which method you use to calculate the MHR. there are about 5 different methods. which one is right? :shrug:
i say go on how you feel. i use a HRM on my long sessions to monitor but figure out day by day due to all the other factors involved. hydration. caffine. allergy meds. Time of Day. and blood glucose levels.

There is a huge variation in max HR's compared to the standard 220 minus your age calculation. That is why you need to do a good max HR test if you are going to use your HR from anything.
People with low resting HR's tend to have low max HR's, but it is a ratio so you will see a bigger difference in max than resting. The more fit you are, the bigger the ratio of max / resting.
Given our two examples here:
198 / 45 = 4.400 ratio
173 / 40 = 4.325 ratio
It actually turns out they are very similar, and both are way better than your average runner. A very unfit person might have a ratio as low as 2. A ratio of 3 is pretty good, and above 4 is great. Numbers above 5 are rare, and usually only seen in elite athletes.
Obviously there are other major factors that effect your running, but this ratio factor is something I came up with some years back that I think is very helpful in evaluating if your HR's are good or not. Think of it this way - if you you had a ratio of 2, at maximum exertion you could only get twice as much blood and oxygen into your system as you can an complete rest. A bigger ratio of say 4 or 5 gives you a lot more margin to step up the exertion level from resting and still be okay.
People get too caught up it looking at resting HR's without looking at the big picture. I used to sometimes train with a girl who had an extremely low resting HR of 34. Everyone would say how that indicated what an amazing athlete she was. At the same time I was tested with a pretty high resting HR of 50 which most people would take to mean I wasn't as fit as she was at 34. However, her max was 160 and mine was an exceptionally high 235 so we had the exact same ratio of 4.7. We were in fact about equally competitive at the time.

For me that's
(180-52) x .7 + 52 = 142

I can't help you on this one. I used one once. I prefer just running on feel, time and miles.

I've had that happen a few times myself after an interval workout. My HR drops below 70% for my cool down, but my pace is about normal. I just assumed since it had worked harder, and my legs and muscles were warm, it took less effort heart wiset to cool down.