I had some terrible swelling in my groin area which appeared to be chronic disease Hidradenitis Suppurtiva. I was convicted that was some infection of the sebaceous glands. What I would like to know is what causes Hidradenitis Suppurtiva? I’ve got topical antibiotics to treat it, what else I can do?

I can tell you what exact cause of Hidradenitis Suppurtiva is, but for unknown reasons, people with hidradenitis develop plugging or clogging of their apocrine glands. Hidradenitis is made worse by being overweight, but it is not caused by obesity. Also it is more common in people who have had acne and may become worse under stress. Topical antibiotics are the treatment of choice. What you can do is to avoid tight-fitting clothing and infected areas should be cleaned daily using an antibacterial soap.

suppurativa or HS is a skin disease that affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands and hair follicles; such as the underarms, groin and buttocks. It is more commonly found in women and can be present under the breasts.

Contents [hide]
1 Overview
2 Stages
3 Causes
4 Severe complications
5 Treatments
6 Footnotes
7 External links

[edit] Overview
The disease manifests as clusters of chronic abscesses or boils, which can be as large as baseballs or as small as a pea, that are extremely painful to the touch and may persist for years with occasional to frequent periods of inflammation, culminating in drainage of pus, often leaving open wounds that will not heal. Drainage provides some relief from severe, often debilitating, pressure pain. Flare-ups may be triggered by stress, perspiration, hormonal changes (such as monthly cycles in women), humid heat, and clothing friction. Persistent lesions may lead to scarring and the formation of sinus tracts, or tunnels connecting the abscesses under the skin. At this stage, complete healing is usually not possible, and progression varies from person to person, with some experiencing remission anywhere from months to years at a time, others may worsen and require surgery in order to live comfortably. Occurrences of bacterial infections and cellulitis (deep tissue inflammation) may occur at these sites. HS pain can be difficult to manage.[1]

HS often goes undiagnosed for years because patients are too ashamed to speak with anyone.[1] When they do see a doctor, the disease is frequently misdiagnosed or prescribed treatments are ineffective, temporary and sometimes even harmful. There is no known cure nor any consistently effective treatment. Carbon dioxide laser surgery is currently considered the last resort for those who have advanced to its highest stage, where the affected areas are excised, and the skin is grafted. Surgery doesn't always alleviate the condition, however, and can be very expensive.

It is possible that there is genetic predisposition to the disease.[2] HS is not contagious, and is not affected nor caused by good or bad hygiene. HS is often called an 'orphan illness', due to little research being conducted on the disease at this time. Because HS is considered a rare disease, its incidence rate is not well known, but has been estimated as being between 1:24 (4.1%) and 1:600 (0.2%).[3]

Other names for HS
Hidradenitis suppurativa has been referred to by multiple names in the literature, as well as in various cultures. Some of these are also used to describe different diseases, or specific instances of this disease.[1]

Acne conglobata - not really a synonym - this is a similar process but in classic acne areas of chest and back
Acne Inversa (AI) - a new term which has not found favour.[4]
Apocrine Acne - a misnomer, out-dated, based on the disproven concept that apocrine glands are primarily involved
Apocrinitis - another misnomer, out-dated, based on the disproven concept that apocrine glands are primarily involved
Fox-den disease - a catchy term not used in medical literature, based on the deep fox den / burrow - like sinuses
Hidradenitis Supportiva - a misspelling
Pyodermia sinifica fistulans - an older term, considered archaic now, misspelled here
Velpeau's disease - commemorating the French surgeon who first described the disease in 1833
Verneuil's disease - recognizing the French surgeon whose name is most often associated with the disorder as a result of his 1854-1865 studies[5]

I also have HS and I have tried the toppical and the antiabotics and nothing seemed to do the trick good enough and I went to a specialist and they put me on a treatment called Remicade. This drug is done through an infusion and I go about every 6 weeks and it works great I rarley have any "flare ups". Remicade is used by mainly people who have Chrone's Disease, I have to say that it is I believe it is still experimental just for HS the drug itself is approved. It does cost a lot too I would not suggest unless you have insurance.