Can anybody help me? I am a fully active 12 year old girl, and I am almost 13. I am a competitive swimmer, but I have been having some issues. You see I have been feeling absolutely terrible for MONTHS! I am ALWAYS tired and drowsy. I guess fatigue? I am also always on the verge or am getting sick. But the last few weeks have been even worse! I am constantly tired (I always fall or almost fall asleep in class), stuffed nose, sore throat, terrible stomach pains, loss of appetite, or increased hunger, eye pains (my eyes sometimes get glassy, and they turn a grayish color in the white part almost a yellow color to),constant headaches, congestion, back pains, aches, and weakness. I don't know if it is because I am constantly active or am becoming a women if you know what I mean. I swim 5 days a week. I swim in the afternoon Monday-Friday and in the morning Monday, Wensday, and Friday. I swim for and 1.5 in the afternoon and 1 hour in the morning. I swim a total of 10.5 hours a week everyday all year. I just recently started morning practice though. I started morning practice in January I think. But I am constantly feeling terrible all the time if anyone knows whats wrong with me PLEASE help!!!! Thank you :) P.S. I am on my moms account she let me comment. 

Sincerely, 
Elizabeth T. :)

Its good that your active but kind of odd seeing the issues you are having I would say your just overworking your self if you just were tired alot but since you have allot of other pains and issues that arent really normal i would really suggest you take this to your family doctor you can never be to safe!!!

I think you need to see your family doctor immediately!  Many of your symptoms could be the sign of something very serious!  It is VERY important that you talk to one or both of your parents about your symptoms and get to see a doctor immediately!

If you swim that much a week, I would say that you are over worked for your age. Then again that wouldn't make sense if you have been working that hard for years. Its great that you love swimming so much but I don't see why it should have any effect on you if you are used to it. If your parents know about this and they have not taken you to see your doctor yet, they need to reconsider. If you are tired and falling asleep in school, you are less likely to pay attention and your grades may start slipping.

Good Luck

Thanks guys :).....but also My symptoms I have had all of them but the only thing is that they aren't as terrible as they sound. I don't get them all at the same time (thank goodness) but they all came over a period of time. I listed every single symptom I have gotten over the last few months. These symptoms come and go but only a few mainly stick around.These are the ones that stick around: I have had the loss of appetite the last few days (it's really weird because I normally eat  a lot, but not in a unhealthy way). Like I woke up this morning at 6 o'clock because I had a swim meet and I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat breakfast then after the swim I still hadn't eaten and it was 1:36. So I thought that was weird but I still ate cause I knew I should(I didn't eat w whole lot). But I'm still not hungry. Does that sound weird? Also headaches,stomach pains, nausea, and tiredness. I'm just really hesitant to ask my parents if I can go to the doctor because I tell them everyday what my "issues" are that day (haha). They just think I am complaining though. So ya....does it really sound like I am that bad? I'm not sick in bed so do I really need to see a doctor? Thanks again!

Do you think I'm just paranoid? That all the symptoms are kinda in my head? That I am just thinking they are worse than they really are?  Sorry I'm babbling......

I wouldn't say you are babbling, but more concerned with your overall well being. I still would suggest going to see a doctor. It may turn out to be nothing but I'm sure you would rather be sure than sick. As far as you eating goes, i am the same way. I can eat because I have a high metabolism as I am sure you do too. Falling asleep in class could be the result of not sleeping at night. Make sure you get to sleep early. Teens your age still need around 8 or more hours a day for be fully functional. Some of your symptoms may be caused by entering puberty though. As most of us have said so far, go and see a doctor.

Rapidfire i get 6 hours of sleep and am fully-functional.

Just came upon this site, and I am furious that almost all answers are telling you to just go see the doctor. I am sure you came to this site for a better answer then “go to the clinic”. I’m assuming you’re 13 right now, sickness symptoms will continue as you get older because you are growing. The harder you train the weaker your Immune system is going to get, in return you will get sick. THIS IS NOT BAD it means you are getting stronger. When you do get sick do some light cardio and take rest days in tell you get better *LIGHT CARDIO*.

Your headache, you must drink water, not the pool water, good fresh tap water. You should be drinking at least 1000ml to 2000ml of tap water a day and I would tell you to drink out of a stainless steel bottle, for obvious reasons and you will be urinating a lot more, it is normal. Also drinking enough water in a day will help you with your appetite.
There are lots of fun chemicals in pool water that can make you sick to your stomach if you drink it, in fact Indoor pools can cause asthma if the place is not properly designed (ask someone at your pool what they put into the water, how they do it etc. Always good to know what you’re diving into) therefore I recommend to always train swimming outdoors. Not accusing you that you drink pool water, just saying its not as clean as you think it is.

Every body is different, so the amount of sleep you get is totally on you (not what someone ells would recommend). Properly make a sleeping habit and crack the window open when you sleep; it helps to circulate fresh air because all that CO2 your body is exhaling is being breathed back into your system if there is no circulation of air. For me, 12 hours of sleep is what I need because of THE WAY I AM TRAINING, that is the max you should sleep because anymore of sleep will make you dizzy and give you a headache. Try not to sleep in the day.

I am a swimmer ever since I was three and have been doing weight training and calisthenics ever since I was twelve. I am seventeen years old (I’m a guy) and I know a lot more about training then all 4 of my gym teachers put together, I can explain athlete symptoms a bit better then my doctor because she does not train like I do. In other words, I know a lot about working out. It’s my life.

I probably forgot something so just ask and you shall receive a good answer, if I’m not clear (I know my writing can sometimes be bad, I speak 2 languages) on something just tell me and I hope I helped you a bit.
P.S.
I hate doctors because they always ask questions. Why do they ask questions? It’s because they don’t know you, so the likeliness to receive a wrong answer is around 60%. Your family doctor should be on the same page as you, not saying invite your doctor over for dinner, but make sure your doctor understands you.

Paranoia is a fear, and like all fears, it can consume you to believe it’s true and tell you, you can’t do it because of something. Don’t point the finger at anyone or anything, you owe yourself to be better, so thinking you are being paranoid means you problem are paranoid. STOP THINKING LIKE THAT, because as soon as you step over that line, it starts to become reality. My advice, always stay positive and if you feel sick think you will get better and when you do you will get stronger.

I hope this made sense and helped a little.

Love your response, very assertive, I'm a parent of a 13yo girl, doing high performance swimming and I totally share your comment.

Good on you to help other swimmers.

Cheers!!