I take my six-year old twins to the swimming pool on a regular basis. We also go to the beach during the summer. They enjoy it very much. So do my wife and me. However I am concerned about swimming and other dangers that lurk in the pool. What precautions should I take to protect them while letting them enjoy the water?

The greatest danger is that of drowning. You should keep an eye on them all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. It only takes a minute or so for accident to happen. Also many children and teenagers enjoy jumping into the water regardless of the people in there. Someone may jump right on them and break their bones, head, etc. Many young children are allergic to chlorine, so it would be wise to rinse them off when they get out. Their eyes and ears should be cleaned and dried with a cotton but. Thus you will prevent chlorine to irritate them as well as ward off possible infections they may pick up. If they go on a slide see that you are watching them. Also you should change their swimsuits regularly and wash them after use. If you go to the beach make sure that they do not swim away from the shore. Avoid unprotected beaches especially if the sharks have been spotted there. There are some other things to think about such as jelly fish and other poisonous creatures.