If I inhale deeply and press relatively hard against the spot
where the 5th or 6th rib meets the breastbone after exercise,
I can actually hear a loud swooshing noise coming from the area that's
in time with my heartbeat. I'm 16 and as you would expect I'm really
worrying over this; I've suffered from anxiety for a long time especially
related to worrying about my heart. I'm sure you shouldn't be able to
hear your own heartbeat without putting your ear against your chest right?

Dear Guest.

I know how you feel. I've had anxiety for two years now. And right now I'm worrying about if I have HIV or I'm going to die and about my fever.

But as for the heartbeat, that sounds pretty normal to me. After you exercise of course your heartbeat is going to be faster than normal! And it's the same for me after I exercise. So, don't worry about it. Just be glad it's beating. And anxiety can make it worse. It'll speed your heartbeat up if you worry more. And if you get any pains in the center of your chest, tell someone and go to a doctor if the pain's really bad. I have pain over my heart A LOT. But that's becuase I have a very common disease called GERD. Also known as Gastril Reflux. Very very common. So don't be alarmed about you're heartbeat. I'm sure you're perfectly fine. ^_^

I am 23 years old and suffered the worst anxiety attacks anyone has probably experienced... I had my self on my death bed starting at the age of 18. I have been ran to the hospitals time after time by ambulance or by my self showing up at the hospital with a blood pressure of 200 over 110. That's how bad I had my self worked up, my pupils were dilating very quickly backand forth from all the adrenaline running through my veins. I thought I was having heart attacks. I refused to listen to any doctor tell me I had anxiety problems, I truly thought it was a heart problem, cancer you name it and I thought I had it, and the worse it got(especially laying down to go to sleep) the more I would examine my body(big mistake, you will just find more to worry about) This all started happening to me after a severe motorcycle accident I was in. Its called post traumatic depression, although some people it may not take an accident to trigger these anxiety attacks and depression that's what did it for me. You need to learn to stop examining your body so much, stop listening to your heart beat in your ears( I get that to I can hear it now) my heart is healthy Ive had stress tests. I hate to see people suffer from this because I know how bad it is believe me I know. If you don't know what an anxiety attack is its a burst of adrenaline shot into your body like if you were to be frightened by someone sneaking up behind you, except noone is sneaking up behind you. you are doing it to yourself by thinking Oh my chest hurts whats going on! Am I Dying! Oh no! and then you are in panic mode. I personally have experienced a lot of these sudden panic attacks right before falling asleep, the time im most relaxed. Weird I know but I don't understand it. The truth is EVERYONE gets aches and pains everyday, and that's life. you need to except that. I know its hard but you are not dying! I have tried several different types of medications that were prescribed to me, and some even made the problems worse. Do not let any doctor put you on Zanex or however you spell it. I was on it and if I was having an anxiety attack and i took one of those I would go to sleep and wake up right back in an attack, no wonder people get addicted to these. The best drug for this daily is 30milligrams of Lexapro and for sudden attacks a 1milligram klonopin. Best scripts I ever have gotten and not addictive. I have not experienced an attack for over 2 years now. And I look back now and think to myself, who was that guy, was that really me? Wow! what a rough couple years that was. I feel for anyone that has to go through that and just always no that you are not single out we are all humans and experience many things. I am just a normal 23 old and felt that I have went through something for those couple of years that maybe I can help other people with...

By the way... example of freaking yourself out... stop pushing on your 5th or 6th rib and breathing deeply that might hurt anyone...haha I get sudden sharp pains in my ribcage like someone is stabbing me when I breath every now and again dont know why that's just how it is.

%-) I have same symptoms ive been suffering from anxiety for almost 20 yrs now, have swishing noise in my left ear and when i turn my neck to the left it stops and when i turn to the right it starts all over again, when i press on my neck it also stops. Dr. gave me ear drops cause my ear is irritated. ive been under alot of stress, my mom passed away in June. having panic and anxiety attacks alot more lately. also experiencing hot flashes and dr. said i could have menopausal/Thyroid condition cause im that age YIPPY..lol the heartbeat isnt all the time more when im stressed. i do have high BP and take meds dr. wants to do a carotid artery study he listened to artery and doesnt hear any blockages but wants the test just to make sure because i am a smoker and my mom had carotoid artery surgery..

I still can hear my heartbeat even when im not exercising.. What to do now?

And I'm only 12!