i had a throidectomy two weeks ago and ihave been coughing persistantly since. my neck is swollen and feels hard. i am worried

Hi! I had my thyroid gland removed six years ago. You shouldn't be worried about your coughing, it will go away soon. Numerous complications may arise following surgical removal of the thyroid gland. These problems often result from either the surgical technique or from metabolic disturbances. Although the incidence of these complications is low, some problems are seen more frequently than others. Primary complications associated with thyroid disease include recurrent laryngeal nerve injury, parathyroid deficit, and post-operative bleeding. Problems less frequently seen are thyroid storm, infection, sympathetic nerve injury, and chylous fistula. While prevention of these complications is a primary goal during thyroid surgery, early recognition and management by the health care team is essential for the safe recovery. The coughing may have to do with everything in that area getting used to the added scar tissue. You'll get better soon.

thanking u very much, i bet i just need to relax.

it seems my swelling is hematoma, the swelling is hard

Are you sure it's hematoma? I didn't have it after my surgery. Postoperative hematoma is basically a localized collection of blood in the surgery site. In mild cases, the bleeding is minimal, and stops or reabsorbs on its own like the natural blood clotting mechanism. However, in severe cases, the hematoma gets large enough to compress the tissues and prevent oxygen from reaching the skin, resulting in the eventual dying of skin. This may further increase the risks of having other complications like infection, wound separation and necrosis. Hematoma after surgery treatment usually depends upon the severity of the condition. For example, in mild cases, the hematoma dissolves automatically after a couple of days. However in severe cases, wherein the hematoma enlarges, a surgery would be conducted in order to re-open the wound, drain out the accumulated blood and clamp down the blood vessels, in case, the bleeding still persists. Some analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs or medications like ibuprofen (Motrin) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be considered in order to relief the pain or discomfort. Did you stop coughing?

I am still coughing, the swelling is still there, part tender part hard. Went to see the team and the surgeon aspirated some fluid, its been 10days and the swelling remains the same.I really thank you for the support and information. Hoping to hear from you soon. Have a wonderful time all the best

Hi naa! I haven't seen your last post until now. Some fluid? That's strange. What did your surgeon tell you about this fluid? How come it collects in your neck? Was it around your internal scar tissue? Do you feel any better now?

Hi dear, the fluid was blood around the scar tissue. Its been a nightmare these past few days,been coughing and vormiting. I have been really miserable. Went to see my GP, who gave me some erythromycin. I feel so helpless, the swelling is no longer painful is just hard at the moment. I am coughing but not as bad as before. Feeling weak and tired. Is there any type of food i should avoid. I am most grateful for your help

Hi! I’m glad I could help. Erythromycin slows the growth of, or sometimes kills, sensitive bacteria by reducing the production of important proteins needed by the bacteria to survive. You're taking it just to prevent the possible infections. I don't know about foods...do you feel pain while swallowing? If you do, you could try taking some liquid foods.

Hello: I had a total thyrodectomy in the year 2000 five years later I realized the doctor left over a dozen clamps in my throat found out after getting in a car accident and saw the x-rays and asked the doctor what is that and he said "never saw this in the throat area before usually see this kind of thing in the hip or the knee area" I was totally shocked have been asking around and no one seems to know the answer. If anyone have any thing to tell me about this I would appreciate it. Also I am allegic to cheap jewelry and not sure what these clamps are made of and have developed a lump on my left shoulder and later my left upper arm which is quite big bigger then a golf ball. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hi! I know that my inner scar tissue is perfectly visible on ultra sound, maybe that's it, your scar tissue strangely shaped. I don't understand how he could leave clamps in there...the inner stitches should be dissolved by now. What your endocrinologist says about this?

Well I am now going to an Endocardioloist and he too said he had no idea why they are there. I then went to a ENT and he stuck this tube down my throat and it was very uncomfortable and the procedure could not be completed. He did tell me that if the clamps were removed I would bleed to death. I need more answers hopefully will get them cause I am not giving up. Thank you for your response cause now I can suggest they check to see if it is scar tissue but looking at the X-Rays I am sure they are not I'm not a doctor but I do know my body and something horribly wrong is happening that is not right cause I got the lump on my shoulder the same year the thyroids was taken out and again I was assured it was nothing just a muscle mass and yet it is still there years later. Once again thank.

You're welcome. I'd be glad if you let me know what your endocrinologist said about this. My thyroid was removed because I had a cancer. It was some type of cancer that can easily spread trough your lymphatic system, but its completely gone now thanks to radioactive iodine therapy I went trough. I hope you'll get well soon.

I had a total thyroidectomy about a month ago. A friend of mine who is a nurse had a partial one several years ago. I saw her shortly after my surgery. She mentioned that the thyroid is very vascular and that they have to use many clips because of all the blood vessels that are attached to it. That is probably why he told you that you would bleed to death if they removed them. I would think you could contact your surgeon's office and they should be able to tell you what they as made of. I hope this helps!

I haa complete throidectomy as well recently, about 4 weeks ago and I'm stil coughing...