Hello! I am about to have a thyroid surgery and I am very worried about the possibility of remaining scars. As I work in public it is very important for me that the scar is minimal. Can anybody tell me about their experiences with this matter. Thank you!

You must know that all surgeries cause scars but they defer from one person to another. However, there are some techniques that surgeons use to minimize scarring. These techniques include: smaller incision size, careful incision placement, and hypoallergenic suture material in order to avoid inflammation. The general rule is that adults lose their scars after 6 months or so. I lost mine in 7 though.

I had a total thyroidectomy (in 2 different surgeries) in 1997, but after a year the scar is barely visible. But now, I have another lump in my throat which my doctor says is scar tissue. My only problem with that is that it has taken 9 years to develop?

I had my thyroid removed 6 years ago. I am 41 yrs old and female. When I had it done the scar was minimised by the use of clips and the surgeon sited the line above the necklace line so that when my skin gets older the scar won't pucker. It is unnoticeable and after first few months faded quickly. Do rub it though to break down any lumpiness. Don't worry, you'll be fine! :-D

I had a full thyroidectomy in Feb 2007, however my scar is still extremely bad, I'm considering having plastic surgery done, any advice?

I'm 22 female, indian, but relatively fair.

Thanks