I just had a thyroidectomy one week ago today. The wound seems to be healing nicely. I would like to know what I should do to help the healing process and make the scar fade quicker.

Hello! I am not here to offer any good products for removing scars as I don’t believe in them. My friend used Mederma as she heard so much about its effectiveness and she had no success with it what so ever. She tried to get rid of the stretch marks she developed during pregnancy but to no avail.
As for the thyroid scar, I know it may look awful to you now since it’s been only a week but it will get better. It is just something you need to get used to as a part of you for the next couple of months. Although three months time may sound too long for you to notice any change, it will pass quickly if you put your mind to something else and just come to terms that this is something you need to go through just like the surgery.
In six months time it will be twice as better and in a year, you probably won’t see it at all.

Unfortunately my news is not good. I had a thyroidectomy nearly a year ago, on May 31 and my scar still looks very sightly. It is very visible and sometimes gets red and irritable. Doctors in the UK have no idea what do do for me. I cannot wear ant jewllery either as it immediately becomes itchy.
I am using a silicone cream, but it's not much use

ive had it done a week ago also ive been given by doctor silgel to rub on when healed up as its meant to help.

I had a hemi thyroidectomy 1 year ago and the scar is still visible and red. However, my sister's scar was not visible after 1 year.

I had my thyroid out at the beginning of May so it has only been a month for me. I must say that my scar is healing very nicely and there are a lot of people who don't even notice it anymore. I am putting on pure vitamin E cream 2-3 times a day. I don't use the oil, just the cream as it rubs into the skin better.

I to have a horrific long scar that is always irritated after 19 months. It is still painful to touch at times. I've had steroid injections by Pain Management Dr.'s without any help or change in the appearance. All prescribed creams and ointments only continue to irritate it.

I guess every case is different. Jewlery also makes it worst. Can't deal with any clothing touching area also.

I HAD SURGERY 2MONTHS AGO FOR MY PARATHYROID PROBLEM AND I AM EXPERIENCING REALLY BAD ITCHING AND SORENESS AROUND THE SCAR. IT IS NOT RED OR BRUSIED BUT IT HURTS TO TOUCH. IT HAS ITCHED ME SO BAD THAT I HAD TO TAKE A BRUSH AND SCRATCH IT. IS THIS NORMAL? WILL IT GET BETTER? MAYBE ITS TO SOON, BUT I HAVE HAD A C-SECTION BEFORE AND THE SCAR WAS NOT ANYTHING LIKE THIS ONE ON MY NECK.

I had my thyroid out 10 years ago (03/07). Today the scar is very light. Back then, I was told not to let the scar be exposed to sun, hence, I bought a collection of short sleeved mock turtlenecks and wore them all the time. I also applied real aloe vera (from a plant), although it can be itchy. We have had 4 thyroidectomies in our family (2 other sisters, me and my niece). My niece's scar looks great (she had the surgery in approx. 07/07); she used Mederma and wears sunscreen. I have to go in for a new surgery on 12/07/07 to have a cancerous lymph node (and all it's little susceptible friends) at the bottom of my neck removed. This time, I bought a few mock turtlenecks and some crew necked long sleeve knit shirts, along with some large necklaces. Hopefully I can trade off between these items and hide the scar "evidence" until it looks better. Once it's had several weeks to start healing, I also plan to apply sunscreen and coverup makeup. My doctor tells me that these surgeries have no effect on life expectancy. He says I could be back to see him in a few years with something needing to be removed from the side of my neck. But, he says, there is very little chance of spreading elsewhere in the body, and these surgeries are mostly just an inconvenience. I can honestly say, having a thyroidectomy was one of the easier trials of my life! This isn't like other cancers. Be glad this is all it is! (and if you have a hospital stay, enjoy the time off having no responsibility and someone else cook for you and clean up!)

I hav undergone throid opertion 4 months bfre,still my scar is visible and itchy.It is swollen and clearly visible.two weeks bfre my doctor injected some liquid directly on my scar.now i can see the difference tht my scar has been little bit flatten.again this week i hav to go for injection.my doctor ask me to apply ...tublex gel,n use. :'(

I am a 16 years old girl and i have had my thyroid removed as the doctor have said the scar will lighten to a little red line about 2 years. However, I got mine out may 5, 2008 and now it is already 2 years and my scar is still very visible and i really have a hard time looking at myself or wearing something that does not have a turtleneck.....

what do you mean you have a hard time looking at yourself, be thankful your doctor caught it in time and you're okay.. I had to have a total thyroidectomy because it was growing causing trouble w/ breathing and wrapping around my windpipe ..... i thank god I'm fine now and dont care if my scar is visible or not .. There are far more important things to worry about and a scar is not one of them.....

what do you mean you have a hard time looking at yourself, be thankful your doctor caught it in time and you're okay.. I had to have a total thyroidectomy because it was growing causing trouble w/ breathing and wrapping around my windpipe ..... i thank god I'm fine now and dont care if my scar is visible or not .. There are far more important things to worry about and a scar is not one of them..... Quote:

To the person that wrote this above,
I'm 17 and i've had quite a hard time myself, i have a thyroid condition that can't exactly be cured.. it can only be controled by medication.. my neck is also enlarged and quite visible i sometimes have trouble swollowing and its uncomfortable,
in saying that my body has stopped responding to different medication quite a few times. This is becoming alot more serious now.
I'm seriously considering getting my whole thyroid removed, i'm a little bit scared... but that may be because i've never had surgery.
I respect what you are saying to the 16 yr old girl above, she is lucky and should be grateful that it wasnt worse...
But as a 16 yr old girl growin up in todays world..... i can understand that having a scar there on your neck visible for many people to see can be uncomfortable and not help self esteem, i wouldnt go as far as saying i cant look at myself in the mirror....
But i know thats one thing i've been researching.. is the healing of the scars and how noticable they are,
like i said i understand where your coming from.. but i think you could have chosen your words better.
everyone is different, that doesnt mean our opinion or experience has to be right or wrong and be the only answer or feeling someone should have or think about.
You've obviously had a more serious and different situation with yours, so maybe that has made you more grateful and more focused on the fact that, it could have been alot worse for her by maybe what you went through,
But for her situation.... thats how she feels.
No point in having ago at her or pointing at her for being ungrateful or unreasonable.
That doesnt make her feel any better about her situation... having a thyroid problem, then having it removed and feeling self conscious about a scar, which lets face it... is reasonable for a 16 year old girl these days... and then to not only be put down because you are older or have had a more serious condition to where you felt you had alot more reason to thank god and be lucky things didnt turn for the worst for you.

Either way you both have valid points and im sharing my opinion. but i didnt see the point in making her feel worse because your situation was worse then hers?

Hi I would just like to say to all of those worrying about having. Hemithyroidectomy that having read the posts on this page before hand I was expecting a very harrowing experience and a hugely unsightly scar as a reminder!!

I had my operation two weeks ago, and although initially painful to move my neck, after two to three days I no-longer needed pain killers, I had no problem what so ever eating or swallowing and my voice is exactly the same (I was warned of a small chance of a permanent horse voice)... I had a huge non-cancerous lump on my right thyroid, it was 5cm x 4cm. My scar although still covered with a scab isn't that bad, the join is really neat and looks like it should be tiny once healed fully, i may be one of the luck ones, I'm sure some scars could be much worse, my advice to is to be grateful a scar is all you are having to endure after this operation and be grateful for your health!

This is right after surgery

This is 7 months later you can't even notice the scar unless you really are up close. I used vitamin e cream on it.