I am healthy 40 years old woman and don't have kids. I have been trying to get pregnant since August, 2003. Me and my husband are slowly starting to lose hope that we will ever get pregnant and it is affecting our marriage. Now I was thinking to adopt a baby, but I really want to have my own. Why is it so hard to get pregnant for some women?

Many women all around the world are facing your problem. Many couples find themselves so obsessed with the idea of getting pregnant that they forget about their relationship. I am not saying that wanting to have a baby is something wrong, but you need to think about your own feelings for a change. Don't let this become something mechanical that will only make you distant from each other. You are 40 and you need to realize the significance of the changes that have occurred in your body. Spontaneous and successful pregnancies after the age of 40 are less common, and after the age of 45 are rare. But they are not completely impossible. Your ovaries contain over six million eggs at about the halfway point in your development inside your own mother's uterus. These eggs begin to disintegrate or atrophy, even while you are still a fetus. By the time you are born there are only around one to two million eggs left in your ovaries. Disintegration of the eggs begins to accelerate after the age of 35. By the time a woman stops her menses all her eggs are gone. During the last few years a large portion of these eggs are not viable, so the egg can be released but it can't be fertilized. If it gets fertilized, it will end in a miscarriage because of chromosomal problems. I hope that you will be successful in your attempt of getting pregnant, don't give up.