My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now. I have been trying to plan ovulation as much as possible to increase the possibility of becoming pregnant which is really hard to do considering the fact that i am very irregular. I have tried everything possible that i can think of to increase the odds. I have read that taking prenatal vitamins helped several women get pregnant but it seems that they always seem to have twins i dont know if there is any reasoning behing this or if it is an accident. I dont know i am planning on setting up an appointment with an obgyn but i was hoping that i could get pregnant with out having to put alot of money on dr bill just to find that i may not be able to get pregnant at all. It can be so frustrating but any suggestions would be great.

The year of trying to get pregnant and not being successful is a definite sign that you need to see a fertility doctor or ob-gyn. Since you say your periods are irregular, that is a obvious sign of something being wrong with your ovaries - most likely it's just a cyst or it's a condition called polycystic ovaries, both of which are treatable and women have carried pregnancies despite having to first solve these problems. I understand the frustration, but you need to know for sure how things are and what is the cause.
p.s.
twins are usually consequence of hormonal treatments that boost fertilization by forcing ovulation to happen, so it happens sometimes that two or more eggs get released during the ovulation, or often, that is the result of in vitro fertilization where usually more than one fertilized egg is implanted.