i was operated on for colon cancer a few years ago and the cancer was at the very end of my rectom and every since i have no control of my bowels. it's not diarrhea, it is a solid stool most of the time

You need to discuss this problem with your surgeon. It is obvious that the sphincter was damaged in the procedure (or removed together with the anus). Sphincter is a muscle that controls defecation.
It is very hard to say much for your individual case because I don’t know which procedure you underwent. There is a surgery in which an anus is removed together with the cancer and in which a colon is attached to the abdominal wall to form a colostomy, a bag that stool goes into.
However, many doctors decide to do a so called sphincter-sparing treatment, which allows the patient to preserve function of the anus. This surgery removes the cancer, and a part of the colon but it preserves anus and it is followed by chemotherapy and radiation therapy.