I am 28, I have always had short regular periods. I had my regular 3, 4 day period a few weeks before my 28th bday. The day after I turned 28 I started bleeding heavy. A tampon every hour for about 20 days. I was misible. I started getting headaches and I could barely walk around twards the end. I went to the ER and they gave me a blood transfusion, I had lost 2/3 of my blood. The doc put me on birth control pills to stop the bleedingand now 2 months later It has stopped. I have had an ultra sound, a pg test, thyroid test, still no answers. The last time I went to the doctor she said that she dosen't know what could have caused the bleeding. I guess there is nothing more they can do.. I am so scared that it could happen again. I really don't want to be on BC for the rest of my life. Furthermore I am scared there is something wronge with me that they are not checking for. If any one has any insight into a situation like this one,please respond

I don't have an answer for you but I would definitely get a 2nd opinion if you haven't already!

I almost bled to death too.  It was just a little over 1 year ago July 2010 my Hemoglobin was  4 its supposed to be like 12.  I bled 9 days straight(moderate to very heavy) first in June, then in July, I would black-out, be extremely fatigued and could barely make up my bed or fold laundry.  Worse still, i was having acid-reflux and my stomache felt like i had an ulcer.  Finally i woke up on my 8th day of bleeding and decided to go to th hospital.  I was so weak i didn't want to drive, so my dad drove me.  I thought they would run some tests and that would be it.  They checked me in that Friday 2 M.D.'s checked me out, the first one prayed with me he had never seen anything like it. Then the Head Sr. M.D. came in and said it was as if I had been in a horrible Car Accident, because I had lost so many pints of blood, that I was a 'walking ghost'.  I had to have two blood transfusions and was in the Hospital for 3 days!  I had never been in the hospital over night in my life! I am now 31 and I praise Jesus the Christ for saving my life!  I didn't know I was dying, now I do get regular check-ups, I was put on birth control for about 4 months and they still don't know what caused it.  Definitely check with more than one source if necessary and keep regular check-ups for Fibroids etc. and keep up with your Gynecologists.  God Bless!

i agree, you should get a second opinion. Doctors arent always right, I live in a really small town and the doctors here suck. they told me i had a tumor in my uterus and they werent sure if it would be cancerous and that i most likely would be steril, I was crying of how scared i was,, so i drove 3 1/2 hours away from home to a better hospital, they ended up telling me it was just a thick linning from my period that falls off every month. I cant say that has happened to me before but you should get that checked out. Hope it doesnt happen again. 

Have they checked for Von Willebrand disease? The same exact thing happened to me when I was 13 and the doctors I have a mild case of this disease... so mild it only shows up during menstrual cycles. I too was put on birth control to stop the heavy bleeding. Von willebrand disease is a bleeding disorder similar to hemophilia in case you were wondering. I didn't know what it was until my incident.

I almost bled to death too. My husband had to come to my work and get me because I couldn’t even stand. Went to er. When I stood up from the wheel chair a huge puddle of blood cell t the floor. I had all kinds of text which were negative for cancer, etc. my hormones also tested normal. the doctor performed a d& c, which helped for a shile. i was given 6 pints of blood and went home next day. But after a couple of weeks the heavy bleeding started again. That’s when my doctor decided a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries)was the only option, and it saved my life. I was done having kids so I went ahead with the hysterectomy and feel great now. My gunk said he didn’t have any explanation for my severe bleeding.