Hello! My father had herpes zoster which leaded to his iris damage. He is thinking about having iris surgery but we don’t know much about it. He was under great stress due to his iris damage since he felt other people are looking him differently. He thinks they make instant judgments about him based on how his eyes look. He says his colleagues at work also changed their attitude. I think he is maybe overreacting but I will do anything to make him happy.

Hello! Unfortunately it is common that people make instant judgments about others based on how they look like. People are sometimes uncomfortable to look into the eyes of a person with an abnormal iris which can affect interpersonal relationship and affect person’s self-esteem. Your father has to visit his doctor first since a repair of a damaged iris requires careful preoperative planning. You doctor will determine whether sufficient iris tissue is remained to achieve the desired goals. If there is two-thirds or more of normal iris tissue surgery will have good results. In case where the large amounts of iris tissue is absent, artificial iris diaphragms, overlapping rings or implants may be used.