I have been on methadone 80 mgs for approximately 20 years and am 75 years old. Because I have been clean since inscription I gradually earned 6 take homes and going in 1x @ week for a bull session. 15 months ago I was very ill with spinal stenosis, couldn't walk, and was granted 13 take homes every time I came in to dose which meant I would only attend 2 times @ month. My spinal surgery was successful therefore had no need to continue seeing my doctor/surgeon. Today 5/6 when I went in to dose the clinic has taken all of my take homes away because They want a letter from my doctor/surgeon stating that I am still ill so my take home doses can be continued. I could not convince them that I don't have a doctor/surgeon anymore so unable to get a letter stating that I am still seeing him. I plainly refused to come in for dose every day per their request. I need a copy of the methadone rules and regulations to address this issue. >:(

Hi:
Here's a link that should have the info you're looking for.
http://www.health.vic.gov.au/dpu/downloads/guidelines-methadone.pdf

I am so impressed with your desire to know what's correct. If more of us were like you, we'd be a healthier society. I wish you the very best in your journey. Be sure to share what you are reading with your medical professionals. They need to know where you're coming from with your questions and concerns. They should respect you for your inquiries. If you get resistance to your questions, consult someone else in the field. I'd love to hear about your future success...Let us know.

Thanks for putting up that link dsdesk. It has lots of good information about Methadone. Even for people like me who use it for pain.

You're welcome:
Let me know if you need a more specific document (regarding your personal needs). I hope that it will continue to be helpful. Please continue to let us know how things work out for you. I know that there are many others that will learn from your research and experiences. I look forward to hearing about what's going on with you. Take care of yourself.

To dsdesk,

I have a question that is kinda off the topic of analgesics.
I have been having a lot of insomnia lately (past several months). I have tried Ambien, Trazadone, Ativan, Zanaflex, Xanax, Klonopin, valerian root, Melatonin, Diphenhydramine, and last night I tried Rozerem. The Rozerem worked no better than a placebo. I don't have much trouble falling asleep, but I have a lot of trouble sleeping through the night. I consistantly wake up almost every couple of hours. And, it is not to go to the bathroom. lol

Do you have any ideas or maybe a different med to recommend ?

Thanks in advance, :-D
allgood

allgood,

I came across this in the process of answering another question the other day. It may be helpful to you.

Temazepam (marketed under brand names Normison, Temtabs, Euhypnos, Restoril, Remestan, Tenox and Norkotral) is an intermediate-acting 3-hydroxy benzodiazepine. It is generally prescribed for the short-term treatment of sleeplessness in patients who have difficulty maintaining sleep. Temazepam is not effective for induction of sleep. In addition, temazepam has anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle relaxant properties.

Temazepam is a hypnotic agent. In sleep laboratory studies, temazepam significantly decreased the number of nightly awakenings. Temazepam is officially indicated for severe insomnia and other severe or disabling sleep disorders. The prescribing guidelines limit prescribing of hypnotics to two-four weeks due to concerns of tolerance and physical dependence.

Thanks. All I have to do now is ask my doc . I will let you know what I end up doing.

i have been on methadone for 6years.i most recently went to a psycarist about a major anxiety problem.He prescribed xanax.I took it for 6months.during the 6months my methadone clinic wanted me to stop taking it.hoe ever it caused me major problems,as far as thinking unclearly,paranoier,just craziness.i was asked to stop & i went into 2detox centers for the withdrawl from xaxax& was given methadone(my regular dose of 167 miligrams).After release i continued to take xanax.It took meto bing sent to aother clinic to quit.i have been off of xanax now 4weeks & am having trouble getting into a clinic in my area because of gossip or hearsay.my question to you is .....Am i being discriminated ecause of what the new clinic hears & being denied because of what a another clinic says with out my consent ?pleaseanswer & help!!!!I don't know wherer to turn.........