Am on a methadone reduction currently daily 80 mls. Have put on alot of weight and developed lumpiness around thighs and buttocks. What is causing this - water retention? Also have GERD very badly. Trying to get off the methadone as this seems to be causing it all? Any suggestions? :-(

I too am getting off, my legs and hands are swelling, at night they go numb to the point where I wake up in a panic. It is getting worse and I feel slight chest pains and fluttering lately. I am scared too and wish I knew what to do. The nurses at the clinic act like they have NEVER heard of this before but when I type it in the internet, it comes up as a serious side affect that needs to be reported to a doctor immediatly. Problem being is the doctor denies that the methadone is causing these symptoms. I missed a dose on purpose and felt slightly better. When I went back it all came back with a vengeance, therefor I know what is causing my body to act wacky. I believe the doctor at my clinic is also the private owner, so of course he doesn't want that 400 dollars a month to go away? How shady is that, they would rather you die than lose a little money?!?!?

OH MY GOD I have the same the same symptoms and I get the same answers you do what is wrong with these people I want of this stuff I just want help...I cant belive we have the same symptoms The HANDS everything

Have you thought of changing to the medication Subutex. It has made a huge difference to me. Talk to the Doctor at your clinic.

I TOO NOTICED BAD SWELLING IN MY ANKELS AND IN MY FEET ABOUT A WEEK OR A LITTLE LONGER AFTER I STARTED TAKING THE METHADONE. THE CLINIC TOLD ME THAT THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL SIDE EFFECT AND THAT IT IS PROBABLY CAUSED BY SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON WITH ME.
MY FEET AND ANKELS WERE SO SWOLLEN THAT I CAN NOT WEAR ANY OF MY SHOES RIGHT NOW ACCEPT ONE PAIR OF FLIP FLOPS AND THEY ARE TIGHT ON ME.

I THINK IT IS GREAT THAT THEY HAVE A PROGRAM LIKE THIS OUT THERE BUT I FEEL LIKE THEY REALLY FAIL TO TELL YOU VERY IMPORTANT INFO, THEIR HOURS ARE VERY INCONVENIENT, AND IT IS VERY COSTLY.

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET THE SWELLING DOWN? SO FAR I HAVE HEARD TO ELEVATE MY FEET AS HIGH AS I CAN AND HIGHER THEN MY HEART WHEN I AM LAYING DOWN. AND I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD TO DRINK LOTS OF WATER, RUB THEM A LOT, AND EAT LESS SALT.

I STARTED METHADONE AND GAINED 35LBS OF WHAT SEEMS LIKE WATER. ITS THE LUMPY THIGHS AND BUTTOCKS AS WELL AS THE UPPER SECTION OF MY STOMACH BETWEEN MY RIBS LOOKS AS IF IT IS STICKING OUT. THE DOCTOR AT THE CLINIC SAID ITS A CHANGE IN BEHAVIOUR SINCE IM NOT BUSY LOOKING FOR DRUGS ANYMORE, I HAVE RELAXED AND PUT ON WEIGHT. I WAS ON SCRIPTS FOR FIBROMYALGIA, SO THE MEDS CAME TO ME. THEY DON'T WORK ANYMORE SO I WENT TO THE METHADONE CLINIC, WHERE I AM TREATED LIKE A HARDCORE DRUG ADDICT. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST DRUG ADDICTED PEOPLE, BUT I WASNT LOOKING FOR A HIGH, I HAD ALOT OF PAIN AND ENDED UP ADDICTED. I HAVE TO GO OUT EVERYDAY NOW TO GET MY METHADONE, SO I AM MORE ACTIVE THEN BEFORE. PLUS IT HELPS A LITTLE SO I AM MORE ACTIVE DURING THE DAY. THIS WEIGHT SEEMS LIKE WATER AND LOOKS LIKE LUMPY POCKETS ALL OVER MY BODY. MY UPPER ARMS TOO. THE SUGGESTION SEEMS GOOD, ABOUT TRYING SUBOXONE. BUT THE DOC WILL ONLY CHANGE THE SCRIPT FOR REASONS OF USEFULNESS AND NOT WEIGHT GAIN, WHICH HE CONTRIBUTES TO A SEDINENTARY LIFESTYLE, WHICH TO HIM IS NOT A REAL REASON FOR SWITCHING MEDS. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS. IF I CAN SWITCH, I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW IF IT WORKED OR NOT.
LISA TOMASIELLO

I too am on methadone maintenance for opiate abuse including abusing methadone before I met my doctor. I peaked in my abusing of methadone at about 140mg but I sometimes took even more sometimes less. I wanted off of it, so I started weaning myself off I got to around 70-80mg per day when I finally got insurance and met my doctor who is a physicatrist and specializes in addiction and withdrawls. I am now down to 30mg day, with a benzo started with Librium then to valium and I want to go back on the librium it helped more. I also take clonidine which helps with withdrawls but I also have hypertension so it helps with both for me. Im feeling better but I have put on 50lbs easy, and have recently had sever swelling in my left foot. I had a sever knee injury in my teens and my knee they say will eventually have to be replaced so it could also and more likely be the culprit in my swelling, becuase I am having bad pain again in my knee, shooting pain from my foot up my shin. Whatever ppl say, I think methadone is good just dont abuse it.

Try wrapping an ice pack with a small towel and taping it to the swelled area...I have same problem with my left foot swelling and I dont know if it's from the methadone or I also have a very bad left knee and had a portion of my poplatiel artery replaced because of clot. Everything else you stated ive tried except the less salt idea, but ice takes my swelling down, doesnt get rid of it but if I elevate my leg/foot with pillows and ice it for about an hour it helps. Good luck to ya I feel your frustration. I found a doctor that helps me with my weaning off methadone. If you want to try suboxone you have to not take methadone for 2 days and for me that wasnt an option cause I would get severly sick. Good luck, Redbluffer

Wow it is great to know that i am not alone in this ...just as you have wrote above I to had the swelling in my hands and feet and numbnes in my hands at night and in the morning and also very stiff ....... my doc told me that this was also not a side affect that could be caused by methadone ..."no way" it must be a cawincadence he said hahaha well I knew it wasnt and now after reading this site i am completely convinced that it is simplty a side affect of the methadone and ... I have been on this before "methadone" but just not as high.... i found that i did not get these symptoms until i went above 50ml ... so I am now gonna aim to get bellow that over the next few months and and level off and see if this makes the difference.... and stop worring that i have carpotunnel or diabettes lol .... well anyway thanks for helping me self diagnose ....cause we know those docs who have never been on the sh*t dont have a fu#%in clue :-)

I am going through methadone withdraw for the second time. First off the swelling in the feet and ankles means you are too high along with the indigestion......I dont care what any clinic pain or maint. tells you....i have used opiates for 10 plus years, methadone for 4 and every time i took more than i should my ankles and feet would swell to the point i could push my finger on them and make a half inch hole that would last for half an hour...now if you are just starting you will likely gain weight you have never had i gained forty pounds over 2 1/2 years of methadeath and lost it within 2 months off use...if your quiting GET HELP i thought i was so strong but here i am withdrawing again im on day 8 i didnt have the luxury of a detox program
i went down 5ml a day for 16 days i still dont sleep i sweat and freeze i still have horrible anxiety cramps diahrea and occassional vomiting usually in the morning...this is no joke if u r using oxy vic even heroin and u dont think u can get off your success of getting of methadone will be less likely...know for some good news suboxone works miracles after 2 1/2 years at a clinic i switched to suboxone i had my relaps i wont lie but i did successfully detox and get clean for real clean.....but i know now it does end there i got depressed and started using again after 6 months of being clean.....you have to fix the original problem before u can fix the symptoms being clean is not being numb you will never feel the way you feel on opiates you will have good days and bad thats just life...the best part so far are the tears i cry i have feelings flooding back im emotional whether it good or bad im alive not just rolling through life numb and unresponsive wish me lucky in kentucky

I have been on methadone for 9 months now. I have gained 80lbs. and have gone from a size 3-5 to a size 18. To top it off my feet and ankles have been swollen since christmas. Just like everyone here the clinic told me it's something other than methadone so I went to other Dr.s looking for an answer. All said it's not a side effect of methadone. They ordered chest x-rays o check the heart, Blood test to check the liver, kidneys and for diabetes. I've come through fine each time so they finally gave me water retention medication and anti-inflamitories (SP?) Nothings working.

A friend of mine just went through his yearly physical and said they spend a good 15 minutes checking your ankles for swelling and asking about it. So if it's not methadone why all the ankle checking and questions. I am so glad I have found this site and read this. I am relieved I am not alone and even got some advice and possible reasons. I am going to try lowering my dose and sticking to it. Thanks for the possibility of being too much. Also they admitted the weight gain was normal at my clinic. they said methadone makes you crave sugar as it needs it to react. It stores unused sugar in your body for later which adds the weight. True or not I don't know. But I will let you know what happens when I bring the dose down.

Sincerely, Teresa

It is not water! Look up on this site. "weight gain and methadone" We have all gained 30-60 lbs. It make me so angry because I thought I had found a friend in the Methadone. I am going to try to get off it but in the meantime strengthen my core and back muscles so when I do get off it will help with the pain. AND I feel your pain .

This is exactly what I was looking for .... methadone and swelling / weight gain. I have been taking methadone for 4 years. Got up to taking 40 mg in am and 40 in pm and had the worst time in my life when my doctor left and I cold not get any methadone for a while. I had never been through anything like this before. I have had pain all my life and have taken all different kinds of medications for pain and have never went through any withdrawl symptoms. Along with this, my back pain was 10 times worse when I did not have the methadone to take. I stopped taking other pain medicines because of side effects to liver and other organs and heard there were no side effects to any organs when taking methadone and it was the best pain medicine available. I now take 10 mg in am and sometimes 10 mg in pm and I too have noticed excessive swelling all over my body. I have gained @ 80 lbs also. Like the above mentioned, it appears to be mostly water. My father introduced me to methadone. He also had back problems and thought this medicine was the healthiest medicine on the market until he found that methadone does effect something......the heart. He also stayed swollen all the time and could not keep his eyes open after going to the clinic to get his doses. It made him so sleepy that it was a danger for him to drive to and from the clinic. He passed away earlier in the year after going to the hospital again to have more fluid drained from his body. I honestly do not think there is such a thing as a "safe" medicine. And I absolutely know for sure that there are not any medicines available to completely stop all of one's pain, if the pain is severe. Thanks to all of you this has confirmed my belief that methadone does cause swelling/weight gain. Good luck to everyone!

I am going to a methadone clinic myself, I went for 2 yrs, weaned myself off, and then, stupidly, got back into the c**p that got me there. It was pretty damn stupid, but i am now back at the clinic. But the first time i was at the clinic, I had problems with my arms going numb at night but I thought it was from my job, i used my hands a lot in the tool and die industry. well when the economy tanked, i lost my job, so needless to say, im back at the clinic like stated before, but im not using my hands as much and am still having numbness. I wonder sometimes if it is from the medicine. I guess I'll ask my nurses and see what they have to say about it and I'll post on here for you guys. this is the first time ive been to this site, but I know I hate it when my arms/hands go numb so u probably do too. It's nice to know that im not the only one.

I have been off of methadone for two + years now. My clinic back then said the numbness was a side effect. However I still experience red and swollen hands now and then, my doctor (who knows nothing of my past abuse) has no idea what causes it. I believe it is a lasting side effect. No one in my family has had these symptoms. But I am grateful to be where I am at, just because you can forgive yourself (or by higher power) does not mean that you do not have consequences. I wish they would have told me more what to expect than explaining it after the fact. I have found exercise and diet with lots of salad and fruit help the most. Good luck