I used Heroin since the age of 16 till I was 24. I am now 26. I got of Heroin many times by going to Methadone clinic and Detox Center's only to find myself doing it again. I finally was able to kick the Heroin in jail. Now, I find myself addicted to Vicodin. I wouldn’t call it a big addiction since I only take two to three pills of 10mg a day, but since I used Heroin in the past I go through withdrawals real easy. I don’t take them for “pain” , but for feeling better about my self. Now I want to wing myself off. Methadone and Detox center’s are out of the question for reason I will not go into.(Long explanation) Can anyone suggest how I should do this? Any feed back is much needed since I want to get back to being normal. Thank you.

I am looking for the same help. I take Darvocet and only to feel better. I've been taking it for years, used to be much more, but now I've gotten it down to about 4-5 a day. I really want to stop, but know that it will be hard. I tried once but I could not sleep and felt awful, only to give in and start taking them again. Advice from anyone would be welcome.

Hi. I'm sorry you're going through this. I have been in that position before myself. As far as I know, there is no "for sure" safe way to do this without going to a Detox center or clinic. Like on your own, or at home, or something to that effect. And if there was, I sure would've used it myself a few times. I'm not a Dr. I shared my similar experience with you tho. Each and every time, I promised myself that THIS TIME I will NOT put myself in that same position. Again. I was taking whichever narcotic it was at the time, for emotional pain. That's not what it was for tho. Nowhere did my prescription say that. I had to get help to come off them each time. That's my experience. I wish I could do more for you, but only a Dr. Can safely take care of this, as that's what they're trained for. Don't take a chance with your life please. You're worth more than that.

The only way to taper off a drug is to do it SLOWLY. It took me 5 1/2 months to taper off oxycodone, which was prescribed by a doctor. One doc wanted me to do it in a couple of months. The idiots have no idea what people suffer when the taper is too fast!!! You also need nutrients to support your system while tapering. The only organization that REALLY knows how to instruct people in the proper way to taper slowly is ''Point of Return''. I used their method and had very little trouble. Please, do it right and avoid needless suffering!