Hi! I have lyme disease. My disease’s was misdiagnosed and I chronic lyme disease. I heard about Dr Jemsek. What do you think about long – term antibiotic treatment?

Hi! It is important to know flowing. The board suspended Jemsek's license for a year but allowed him to practice on a probationary basis. Standard treatment for Lyme disease is 28 days of oral antibiotics. Patients testified that Jemsek gave them oral and intravenous antibiotics for weeks. One woman died after receiving treatment. Some of his patients supported him. They claim that treatment help them. My opinion is that standard therapy is sufficient to put disease under control. Good luck!

The patient didn't die as a direct result of his care. She took more pain medicine than she was supposed and died because of her own actions. Dr. Jemsek's case was opened up and they didn't find him guilty of anything other than using long term antibiotics. His approach to lyme disease is considered unconventional and any doctor who uses the same practice is being targeted by the government since they don't believe chronic lyme disease exists. It does. I am one of Dr. Jemsek's patients and believe me I looked into the allegations against him carefully before deciding to go see him. I am feeling better on the antibiotics. My extreme fatigue, joint swelling in my knees and all over leg pain is better only on the antibiotics. If for some reason I am without antibiotics my knees swell back up (as well as other joints) and unbearable pain will return. Because I had been sick for so long the thirty days of antibiotics were not enough. I felt better but the symptoms returned almost immediately. Anyone who claims chronic lyme disease does not exist needs to be the one who can't get up, loses their balance, pulls themselves up the stairs to go to their bedroom and needs frequent naps from chronic fatigue. Oh and did I mention extreme pain in the back and legs. Maybe they will believe it then. I would most definitely recommend Dr. Jemsek. His patients all rallied by his side because they are better because of him. He is a wonderful caring doctor. I highly recommend him.

The patient didn't die as a direct result of his care. She took more pain medicine than she was supposed and died because of her own actions. Dr. Jemsek's wasn't found guilty of anything other than prescribing long term antibiotics. His approach to lyme disease is considered unconventional and any doctor who uses the same practice is being targeted by the government since they don't believe chronic lyme disease exists. It does.

I have lyme disease and am one of Dr. Jemsek's patients and believe me I looked into the allegations against him carefully before deciding to go see him. I am feeling better on the antibiotics. My extreme fatigue, joint swelling in my knees and all over leg pain is better only on the antibiotics. If for some reason I am without antibiotics my knees swell back up (as well as other joints) and unbearable pain will return. Because I had been sick for so long the thirty days of antibiotics were not enough. I felt better but the symptoms returned almost immediately. Anyone who claims chronic lyme disease does not exist needs to be the one who can't get up, loses their balance, pulls themselves up the stairs to go to their bedroom and needs frequent naps from chronic fatigue. Oh and did I mention extreme pain in the back and legs. Maybe they will believe it then. Actually, I wouldn't wish this horrible disease on anyone.

Dr. Jemsek's patient's all rallied by his side at the hearings because they are better because of him. He is a wonderful caring doctor. I highly recommend him.

i completely agree with blessedby6 - the first comment about 4 weeks of abx and your cured his horse sh*t

i would like to jump through the computer and beat the piss out of that guy

i heard that for years from these assholes while my wife slowly dies - the doctors are just sheep following sheep!

why does he say what he says - because his bible tells him so (medical reference book)

he is no better than all these religious nut balls who beleive it becaue it is written and he cant think for himself

my bet is hes never even treated a lyme patient - or if he did he didnt know it and said the patient has ms, fibro.., chronic fatigue, or what ever

Dr Jemsek is 1 of a few doctors in the country with enough balls to put themselves on the line - i cant tell you how many health care professionls have told us they know they treatment guide lines are bogus in so many different feilds.

doctors are all affraid to treat it with IV drugs so many will do it with oral abx because it goes under the radar = why = because oral meds arent expensive enough to draw attention like IV drugs.

we have gone through 4 or 5 doctors who were willing to treat with abx for long term and about 10 times as many who wouldnt

but most doctors who are willing to treat you wont treat you forever - again, out of fear! so they help you for a while then pass you on to another like some kind of underground rail road

i have seen my wife get bad bad then good back and forth so many times - each time she gets better - its after a long course of abx

but they will tell you its bad for you - well so is chemotherapy but if you had cancer they would push that all over you -

After 10 years of misdiagnosis of my condition, I am now CURED of Lyme disease after treatment by Dr Jemsek. I began IV antibiotic treatment in June 2011 and continued that for nine months. Each month my condition improved. In February 2012 I switched to oral antibiotics two weeks every month. Now in June 2012, I am on maintenance antibiotics only three days per month. I don't need 10 hours of sleep every day (7-8 hours is plenty now!) I no longer have ANY more arthritis pain. My arms and legs no longer go numb for days at a time (never numb at all now). I don't have drenching night sweats anymore or terrible night terrors. So say what you want from the outside looking in. But unless you've been through the process, you're just not credible. I've been there. Dr Jemsek cured me. 'nough said. BTW, it is possible to get rid of the Lyme bacteria with 6 weeks or so of antibiotics ONLY IF they are administered shortly after getting infected WHEN THE BACTERIA IS STILL IN THE BLOODSTREAM. After that, the Lyme gets into the brain, spine, etc., becomes chronic, and requires aggressive long-term antibiotics to cure. Look at it this way: it's a bacterial infection and antibiotics fight bacterial infections. Viral infections and you're out of luck. Other bacterial infections are approved for long-term antibiotics and Lyme disease is no different. There is no medical reason for this controversy; just political reasons. It's ridiculous. But I'm cured and I have my life back I have rejoined society and I'm back to practicing law.

I too have seen many misdiagnosing doctors over the past 4 years and have finally had the I-GenX test positive for Lyme along with West Nile Virus. In looking at the long term antibiotic IV program that Doctor Jemsek offers, like some other chronic lyme docs, the cost is prohibitive. Without insurance coverage how can anyone pay up to $35,000 for 6 to 8 months ofthis I.V. therapy? It is so frustrating because it truly is health for the wealthy!

Even with insurance, good insurance....treatment isn't covered for more than 6weeks maybe a little longer:-/

He can probably help you but you will need cash... he has sold out... my wife and I have been there... you will need at least $20,000 or more... he will charge you 600 just to say hello...350 per office visit.

nice guy .... american medicine at its best....

The guy has the bedside manner of an ox, and his PA's aren't much better. I imagine there's a reason why he acts distant and robot-like, but honestly, that isn't my concern.  He knows his stuff, though - has actual regimens he can put you on and lots of experience to back it up - and that's why I'm continuing to see his practice at this point.  You never have to actually *like* your doctor, no matter what you're being treated for - they just have to get you better.  Agree that his prices are through the roof, making it inaccessible for many - I myself can't afford IV therapy, though it would certainly be more effective (and probably take less treatment time); and I'm a 'good' candidate.  

As to why 1 month of ABX isn't enough:  the Lyme bacteria itself has a life cycle of three different forms (Spirochete, L-wall/L-form/Biofilm, and cyst) which takes a minimum of 45 days to go through.  There is no test available right now that can pinpoint what stage your Lyme bacteria are in, and thus guide treatment.  But the point is that the math of 1 month ABX via the CDC's guidelines vs. 45-day life cycle of the bacteria - it just doesn't add up.  And it can take longer to cycle through all three forms, too.  Some folks have dormant Lyme that's triggered by some life stress - accident, injury, other illness, etc.  

But it's true that if you get it caught, diagnosed, and treated within a month, sometimes you can eradicate it forever as if it had never happened.  But that's a big IF; and it's a very lucky person who has a doctor who knows what to do with a + Lyme test result, and will see it through to make sure it's gone completely, beyond the 'standard' 30 days.  Most of the time you end up needing an LLMD (Lyme-Literate doctor) after conventional medical science doesn't help you -  and most do not take insurance now due to persecution/prosecution by big pharma and the insurance industry.

Another aspect to Lyme that it's important to understand is that a lot of time, you don't just get Lyme when bitten by a Lyme+ tick - sometimes you get coinfections - other illnesses that piggyback with the Lyme bacteria (Borrelia Burgdorferii, if you're wondering what it's properly called).  Some of the most common are Bartonella, which attacks joints; Babesia, which is like Malaria and similar in morphology to the Syphilis bacteria; and Erlichia, which ( I believe, but could be wrong) is like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  There are others, too; but the bottom line is that you have to treat those infections at the same time as the Lyme, or at least as the symptoms flare up, or you'll never get well.  I think they call that co-morbidity, when you have several conditions at the same time.

So yeah, been dealing with this 5+ years now; and Jemsek is the least likable of the LLMDs I've seen over the last 5 years, but I've actually been with him the longest, because he knows what he's talking about; and more importantly, has plans of what to do for each patient, based on symptoms and how you respond to the plethora of ABX and supplements he can guide you to.  Expensive?  You bet!  But the cost of not treating or going to someone who's less experienced - well, you just have to weight the pros vs the cons in everything, just like my Momma always said....

Many people who end up with Dr. Jemsek are psychologically ill. Or, they have a medical condition which is difficulat to diagnose. Lyme's is the perect catch-all for hypochndriacs and munchausen sufferers - a condition which easily explains their "problems" and  is difficult to diagnose. Jemsek takes them in, and takes their money. All you need are symptoms.

You say: "Some folks have dormant Lyme that's triggered by some life stress - accident, injury, other illness, etc.". Seriously? Did you make this up yourself? This is the sort of quackery which allows so many to jump on the Lymes bandwagon. If Dr. Jemsek, Jones etc... put out some clinical data that supports their theories and treatment regimens then maybe some real doctors would take notice. But they do not, because they no they are shooting in the dark - and making money doing so. Once in a while someone might respond to the flooding of the body with antibiotics - i.e. the success stories. 5+ years? Looks like you have drank the Kool-Aid.

There are a lot of medical afflictions for which there are no treatments. Lymes exists, and is generally treatable with limited antibiotics. But don't let Jemsek and his ilk fool you - and poisen you - and otherwise take advantage of your desperation to have an explanation as to what ails you.

Really? Learn how to spell the name of the disease (and in general) before you go on a rant.... it's LYME not Lymes. obviously you don't have LYME Disease so what the hell do you know? Try fighting it misdiagnosed for over 18 years. You need to be punched in the head many many times!!

The Truth Speaketh - that us BS you wrote. Live it and you will know

You could not be any further from the truth.