Hi, I recently saw a medicine TV show that left me curious and worried. It was about pertussis. I heard about this disease earlier in my life but did not pay much of attention to it. After seeing this show, I was intrigued. It seams that pertussis took, and still takes, a lot of lives. I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, pertussis is also known as whooping cough. The cause of this illness is a bacterium called Bordetella pertussis. This is a very contagious disease. Even though DTP vaccine offers a high level of protection, pertussis is still one of the top of causes of vaccine preventable deaths throughout the world. Most deaths occur in infants that did not receive DTP vaccine or the vaccination was incomplete. It takes three dosages of DTP for protection against the pertussis. When a child gets infected, the condition starts as a cold but progresses into a very serious illness that can last couple of months. People that have received complete DTP vaccine can also get infected. However, the symptoms in them are very mild. It is important to say that these people can also transmit disease onto others. I hope that this information helps you.