My wife's friend is diabetic and has a lot of medical complications to deal with. Like now, she was diagnosed with the whooping cough which I hear can be very dangerous, also because of diabetes. Does anyone have any experience with this? I thought that whooping cough was something that was vaccinated against?

Yes, there is a pertussis vaccine, but it is only 70 to 80 percent effective, so as far as vaccines go this is not a great one. I had pertussis two years ago, together with my then one year old daughter. It was unpleasant and caused many sleepless nights, but no more than that. I hear that pertussis is dangerous for babies under six months because their immune systems are not developed yet. It is possible that diabetics have much the same problem. There is no treatment for pertussis either; antibiotics are prescribed, but to my understanding these only prevent further transimssion onto other people (something that the pertussis vaccine does not do, by the way).