Hello. My friends and I were just chatting the other day. Few of us have cats. I have three of them actually and my friend Maya has two. I’m in the process of convincing her to get a third one. Anyway we were talking about food choices and is it better to use raw food or dry food for our cats when Maya mentioned she needs to get her cat vaccinated. It came as a surprise cause one of my cats is the same age as hers and I don’t recall vet saying me that I need to get a vaccine when I visited him few days ago. Since Maya is not someone who can be trusted :D I’d like to ask you about the cat vaccination schedule for kittens and adult cats.

Hey you.

First, let me say that you have 2 types of vaccines: core vaccines and non-core vaccines.

Core vaccines are necessary for each cat to receive and they include vaccines which prevent panleukopenia, feline calici virus, feline herpes virus type I and rabies.

They are given to your kitten while she is between 6 to 16 weeks old with an interval between the vaccines of 3 to 4 weeks.

The non-core vaccines are determined by your cat’s lifestyle and they are usually vaccines for feline leukemia virus, Bordetella, Chylamydophila and feline immunodeficiency virus.

Adult cats that already received all core vaccines are only given rabies shot once a year.

I agree with you rubylock. Two types of vaccination and they don’t work the same for every cat. Every schedule must be determined from your vet.

But this is some schedule.

When your cat is 6 to 15 weeks, vets usually use core vaccines. You should vaccinate your cat every 3 – 4 weeks.

Dangerous diseases are always around your cat, and that is why you need to pay attention to vaccinate it when you need to. Don’t skip it.

Non core vaccinations are not recommended for all cats, only for cats that have high risk of an infection.

Still, vaccination protocol is your vet's job.

Hey you guys,

Mia, is your friend’s cat a kitten or is it an adult cat? If it is an adult cat, she is probably talking about the rabies shot that cats are supposed to receive each year. If it is a kitten, she is talking about one of the core vaccines that the kittens need to take. As Rubylock said, there are 4 core vaccines and they are given to the kitten when it is month and a half to 4 months old. Now, you are not obligated to give your cat any of these vaccines except for the rabies shot. Law requires you to do it because the disease can pass onto you and it’s not at all naïve.

I have both, young and adult cats. I have 3 kittens and an adult one.

I remember that my adult cat received one non-core vaccine and that my vet chose which one to give her, I don’t remember what was it.

Now she is only getting her rabies shot once a year.

My kittens are two and a half months old and they already received 2 out of 4 core vaccines that they are supposed to get. I think that those two vaccines are for feline cafici virus and feline herpes virus.

My vet will decide for the little fellows if they need to take any additional non-core vaccines.

Hello. When your cat is 8 weeks old it is time for feline distemper, when your cat is 12 weeks – feline distemper booster is needed and feline leukemia. When your cat is 16 year old than feline distemper booster, Feline Leukemia booster, Rabies Purevax. Your cat needs to receive annually vaccination from the date of the last vaccination. Adult cat needs to follow the same schedule, even if she was not vaccinated before.  It can’t be that hard. This is something that has to be determine with your vet, he is the only one who can make this schedule. Good luck.

Hello there guys.

It is really important to vaccinate your cat. I have cat and she is 6 weeks old. I started to vaccinate immediately. I made schedule with my vet and I am respecting it always. My cat was never seriously sick. My vet told me that core vaccinations are for all cats.

Of course there are vaccinations that vets are giving to certain cats. Those are non core vaccinations.

When you want to vaccinate your cat your vet is making this schedule according to your cat’s age, breed and health status.

Friends told you what is the schedule :)

I respect it :)

I’m so suspicious when it comes to vaccines, I’ve been like that my whole life. It’s your choice if you want to vaccinate your cat, but when my cat was a kitten, she was given only the vaccines my vet insisted to give her. Every time he mentioned he needs to give her a shot my question was- the law demands it or not? If not, give me a break. But he somehow always convinces me to let him vaccinate her. Luckily she didn’t have any side effects till now, and I don’t plan giving her any vaccines from now on. Except for the rabies shot.