I was on subutex for a long time for pain but it stopped helping my pain so my doctor switched me to methadone. Ive also been on a high dose off xanax for over a year. My husband and I did not find out I am pregnant till I was almost 5mnths so ive been on methadone and xanax my entire pregnancy. Im 6months now and my ob wants me to do a very slow detox off both medications but I dont know if I can for my babies and my own safety cause if I run out of my xanax a day or 2 early I have a seizure. My momma passed away a yr ago in 16 days and my xanax is the only thing that helps me cope plus I have severe anxiety.  Im just wanting opinions to help me see what is best for me and my unborn baby.

What's best for any unborn child is no substances at all if possible, as I'm sure you're aware of. Almost anything affects the baby's health, stress alone can be experienced in the womb, and could effect the mental development of a child for a long period, and in some cases longer.. This doesn't mean all is lost & pointless. It just means the more chemicals or substances, or stresses the mother suffers in her body during pregnancy contributes to child development, after all the baby is dependent on your health & well being to nurture theirs. I wouldn't gamble on this one if I were in your situation, see a doctor you trust, preferably ob/gyn. If tapering the Xanax is recommended, consider it strongly. The seizures are usually a result of stopping a Benzodiazepine as strong as Xanax is, to fast. Learn breathing techniques to relax as you taper. A pcp you trust can help with this. Consider reading about the effects of substances, and what they can do to a pregnancy, that may dishearten you & the baby later. Also consider reading all the "good" things you can do, starting now. The good news is there is still hope. You can start today providing your child with better chances of good health, by making your own the best you can. See your medical professional as soon as you can to devise a solid plan for the remainder of the pregnancy and what to do after. Best of wishes to you and a healthy baby!

Respectfully...