I sustained a Jone's fracture in my right foot 2 weeks before Christmas, and was put into a cast, NWB with crutches for 6 weeks. Then I wore a cam walker and used crutches for another 3 weeks, during which time I slowly increased weight-bearing. I was told to try to put 10lbs of weight on the foot the first week, 20lbs the second week, 30lbs the third. I did stand on both feet without problem at the end of the 3 weeks, and was able to wash dishes, etc., but didn't walk without crutches. When I went back to the doctor, about 9-10 weeks after the break, he sounded hopeful, saying the x-ray indicated callous formation and healing. He told me I could walk, fully weight-bearing, as tolerated, but if my foot began to hurt again, I would need to go back to boot and crutches. I went to my first physical therapy session the next day, and all was well. The next day, I went shopping, spending little more than 1 hour slowly walking/standing in the morning, then another hour slowly walking/standing in the afternoon. Asides from these 2 periods of walking/standing, I was off my feet. I didn't think this was overdoing it, but that night I was exhausted, both legs and feet very fatigued. In the morning, my bad foot was very sore at the break--more than it had been at all since the initial fracture. Called doctor, who said to stop PT, go back to NWB, boot and crutches. I am so frustrated and despondent. After the happiness of finally being able to walk and drive, being stuck on my butt again is incredibly depressing. My fear is that though my bone shows signs of healing, it will fail to completely heal, and months will drag on until my doc says to finally have surgery. Anyone out there who has been through this conservative approach to treating Jone's Fracture, only to require surgery months later? Also, I have trouble evaluating the level of pain associated with my break. When I first broke my foot, it hurt, but not badly. I was more frightened by the loud popping sound the bone made when it broke, and the huge bruise that spread across my foot. Even before it was casted, my foot never hurt much--I walked on it for 2 days before seeing the doctor. So trying to determine whether discomfort in my foot is due to soft tissue damage, or the break, and whether it is less painful or more so, is very hard for me. Shouldn't one expect some pain when starting to walk after being NWB for so many weeks? And if so, how do you know just how much is ok? How long should one wait for this fracture to heal before resorting to surgery? Any help and advice would be much appreciated. I'm incredibly frustrated! :-( Lisa

I JUST READ YOUR POST AND WONDERED HOW YOU ARE DOING....
DID YOU GET BETTER?

Wow this is my story! How did you make out?

I did get better, and that explains why I haven't visited this site in a long time!! Healing was a slow process, but I'm very glad I went the conservative route. My foot feels fine now, and I only rarely have a slight twinge in the area of the injury--not any pain, just a little reminder to appreciate my health!

I am healed!! It's funny to re-read my original post after so long and remember how frustrating the injury was. But I rarely feel anything out-of-sorts with my foot now--only an occasional twinge, but no pain. I am so grateful that my dr. recommended the conservative route, and that my husband forced me to go back to the dr. for a cast (I had originally refused a cast. Being so active, I couldn't even conceive of the idea of being immobile and using crutches!). I recommend being patient, staying healthy (I made sure to eat lots of Vit.K containing spinach and taking raw calcium supplements, which I still do), staying active (I still exercised with a cast--I swam laps, and did some non-weight-bearing mat exercises), and letting the body heal itself. Good Luck with your recovery! Lisa