I travelled to visit family over seas over Christmas, of course I had some heavy baggage and items I slung over my left shoulder. To me, they didn't seem heavy but they were...it's just that I"m a big fellow and don't think much about it. Anyhow, in early January I noticed if I lift my left arm above shoulder level I get a pain somewhere in my upper left arm that shoots straight to behind my left ear. It hurts enough that I notice and wince. Last night, I went to the gym for the first time in half a year and began a leg work out. When I attempted to do squats (you put a bar across your shoulders with weights on either end, then dip down (squatting) and rise up) that pain felt two-fold worse and it happened every single time I tried to squat with the weights. Of course, after three or four squats I gave up and substituted with a different leg work out.

What is this pain? What have I damaged in my shoulder/upper arm to send pain to behind my left ear?

I think you hurt your neck probably C3 - C6, I would hazzard a guess that you either have a herniated disc in your neck or a pinched nerve! The C spine comes down your neck, through your shoulder, inside -where the rotator cuff is - and down your arm to your 1st 3 fingers! 1 way to find out is how far you can lift your arm up! Also without looking run your finger down the inside of your arm from your armpit down to your palm! I will bet that you will feel your finger sometime and not others! This shows nerve damage and trapped nerves! So if it doesn't go away you will need to have an xray or a cervical MRI, massage and accupuncture can help too to release the trapped nerve!

Thanks, Bambi27. Yeah, it feels more like some kind of nerve damage than anything else. Sure is weird how it shoots from my shoulder to inside my head just behind my left ear. Lifting my arm over my head doesn't always activate this unpleasant feeling, but with weight on my shoulders/neck while doing squats sure caused the *zaps*. Maybe it is a nerve damaged in teh C Spine. I"ll ask my doctor or chiropractor.

According to many on these sites they actually go to their doctors and say "Well Bambi said that I need this........"!! Or "Bambi wants you to do this test and that test!" XD o.O o.O So when you see the doctors tell them "Bambi wants me to have a NCV test - Nerve Conduction Velocity, Also a Electromyography! This should show where the nerve damage is - thus the "zaps" I think I should have my own Test Requistions!!!!!! LOL