Hi, I recently became a mother. My baby is developing just fine. But I have some concerns about his hearing. It seems to me that he doesn’t react to sounds. He is six months old and he doesn’t recognize my voice. He had hearing screening when we left the hospital and he was fine. What could have caused this problem? Is there something I could do to help my baby with his hearing?

Hi, I understand your concern. Your baby is the most important person in your life. I’m sure that you would do anything to keep him safe and sound. It’s not usual for a six months old child not to react to sounds. He should definitely recognize your voice and turn his head and eyes towards the sound. Because he passed the hearing screening in the hospital it means he was born healthy. An ear infection can sometimes cause hearing problems. The symptoms you described are alarming and you should go to the doctor to do another hearing screening. This is the only way to determine if your son has hearing problem. But don’t despair, chances are you may have misinterpreted the signs and there might be nothing wrong with your son.