Hi, I have hyperthyroidism and now I am preparing for radiaton therapy with radioiodine. Is it safe to take radioactive iodine?

Radioactive iodine when is taken up by thyroid gland cells it gives off radiation and effects cells by damaging them. This is the principle on which radiation therapy is based, as it affects only cells in which radioactive iodine is concentrated. Thyroid cells are the only body cells in need for iodine. Radioactive iodine is given in a capsule or in a tasteless solution in water. In hyperthyroidism, the thyroid cells produce too much thyroid hormone resulting in symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Radioiodine is used to radiate the gland and to slow thyroid production. Radioiodine which has not been accumulated in thyroid cells is secreted through the kidneys into the urine.