3 nights ago I woke up with a horrible pain at the bottom of my tailbone (right at the top where the two cheeks meet o.O ) It was so bad that if I were to touch it I would have to restrain myself from screaming out, and I have never screamed out from pain in my life. I've gotten maybe 5 hours of sleep combined the last 3 nights, as soon as I doze off I'll inadvertently roll over and although I have never beens stabbed, I'd make a rather large wager that this is exactly what it feels like. My insurance was canceled on the 30th because I am only insured through my father's company until I'm 23 (haven't had to go to the doctors for anything in over a year, some luck huh?) and the new insurance hasn't been approved yet. The swelling seems to have gone down to the point where I can actually touch the area, and the swelling has gone down from puffy and swollen to an almost hard state. It seems to be a bump right at the tip of where the cheeks meet, with about 2 inches of swelling on each side going down the inside. Like an inverted 'V' where the tip is the bump. The pain seems to go away when I take steaming hot showers and that relieve lasts for a few minutes. After which if I try and walk or lie down the pain comes back. It doesn't bother me to sit down in a hard chair but I think that may be due to the fact that I'm a big guy and when I sit up straight, there's a bit of padding XD Anyway if anyone could let me know whether it is actually getting better because I can touch it now or whether it's regrouping and actually getting worse and I have to seek medical attention, I'd appreciate it.

Ouch, sorry about the bad luck.

It sounds like you broke your tail bone. Interesting that you managed that in your sleep, seen as how it's pretty hard to break it.

The tail bone, unlike other bones, does that the ability to heal on its own. Many doctors just tell their patients take it easy and to take some painkillers until it heals.

However, it the case of any broken bone, it's always best to get medical attention to make sure that you're all right, the break isn't too severe, and that there isn't anything unusual in your case. When your insurance can get you approved, go straight to the doctor.

i just went to the health center and had the same symptoms. IT'S PAINFUL.
they told me it was a pilondial cyst and gave me antibiotics and will most likely cut me open in 2 days to release the fluid that's inside.

Believe it or Not I have the same problem, same age (22). However the swelling lasted about two days and no lesions. I also don't think it's a broken tailbone or pilondial cyst. I'm thinking it might just be bruised...

I have a very similar problem am 22....but it started when i was sitting up and reading a lot for almost a week. during that week, the pain wasnt so great but wen it reached like two days before the week endend, the pain was enormous..i couldnt sit...put on my clothes or even walk...i got anti biotics and pain killer..but am still having that prob plus it seems like its getting worst.

This is an old thread. but... When i saw a doctor i was told it was bruised. Thing is, it tends to resurface after some time.

Hi, i'm actually curious to get any more information on this. This is the most surprising part, but three years ago, when i was around 22-23, i had the same problem. It started off as a slight pain, which soon got unbearable, and on the very day I went to a doc, he referred me to a general surgeon who cut a centimetre up in the crack and drained the fluid. I asked him what it was and he really didnt say what it was. He would usually divert the topic or mention that it was some kind of inflammation, and yeah, he mentioned that it was some sort of anal pile. He did mention that it may come back again, but if it ever does, it would within a year. Now its been three years, and since a week, I've started getting the same symptoms again. I've already had an operation, and it would suck if I have to have one again. I have a feeling I got this pain again as i've been leaning against a particular rail pipe in office while smoking. And I smoke at least 15 cigarettes a day, so you can imagine how much of leaning i'd be doing. I realised now that the height of the metal railing exactly coincides with the same point where I can feel the pain. Any additional information on the same would be great for anyone, as we're all aware of the pain. But what can we do, because I really havent come across any preventitive measures or ways to reduce it myself, all over the internet. It does seem like I have a pilonidal cyst, but i'm still not sure as my doc did mention that it was an anal fissure. The swelling was an inch above the anus, but after the operation, i do feel a projection outside the anus, about a centimetre long. So perhaps, my doc is right, and it was an anal pile fissure, but it doesnt really make sense, as the symptoms seem very much like a pilonidal cyst. Any information into this would really help. Thanks.

It is a polylitle cyst iv had one removed before and its back. What it is is a tiny hair that grows off the tup of the spine and it coils up like an ingrown hair. This usually affects us fatties more than any other demographic. Both times I just woke up and bam therw it was along with the pain. I had it surgicaly removed and then had to stuff the hole left over with rolled up gauze dipped in sailine solution. These things suck and is def some of the worst pain other than rib injuries and giving birth out of my butt hole...lol good luck.

24 years old, and i think i have the same issue as discribed. a small swelling now on day 3, VERY sore, hurts to sit, stand, walk, and lie down. havent been to the doc yet but im thinking about it if it is not getting better by monday. any ideas how to kill the pain a lil?

Ive had this a couple of times the first time it went away this time it got really sore so i put a pin in it and a heap of clear fluid came out and 2 hours later i cant even feel it joy!. I hope this helps.

the swelling on the tailbone doesnt reaaly need medical attention ...it can be cured in two days like mine did .....you just need to press the area with a warm cloth...like dip cotton or a towel in hot water and press the swelling .....the pus will come out in one day .... 8) ...might hurt a little first but after that its a great relief ....do mix salt or some antiseptic solution in the water .... hope this helps ..it really gave me relief .... :-P :-P

i dont know if avas advice works but a hot rag on your bum sure does wonders on the pain. 8)

I have been in this pain for weeks now. My tailbone feels bruised but didnt do anything to hurt it. The past two days have been noticably worse. I looked up the syst everyone is talking about and I dont have a pimple looking bump. Mine feels like a growth ON my tail bone. I am starting to swell in (excuse me) my butt crack. Not by my b hole but on the bone and down. This is crazy. I have an appt to see my doctor on monday for something else but Im worried that I might need to see someone sooner... HELP! lol any suggestions?

I jus. Came from the doctor yesterday he gave me meds for the pain an meds for the infection he told me to keep a hot rag in the area to draw out the infection I did that an I did come out I'm now using vasiline an Epsom salt to draw it out faster after the pus comes out the pain goes away so don't be scared to squeeze it out it well hurt but only fo the time being and it stink

ive had this problem for about 4 years now it swells that much the fluid pierces its own hole through my skin and drains its self then gets better for about a month then keeps coming back and literally biteing me on the arse its been going on for years now and think its time to bite back but most doctors in my area or a waste of space last time ide seen him when i first got the symptom he called me a hypercondriac and need a job lol i was only having a week of work due to my pain and first and last time ide ever seen the nutter. would it be wise to go straight to the hospital? or give my doc a second apinion (if hes got the time) ? or do i keep drain and cleaning it my self and keep hopeing for the best