I am a 23 year old female and I have a very sore bump near my tailbone, at the very top of my butt, just on one side of the crack. There is also some tenderness around the area. It hurts to sit in certain positions. I went to a basketball tournament 5 days ago and sat on bleecher seats for a long time and at first thought it was because of that. But I have had this pain a few times before from rear-entry vaginal intercourse. I wasn't worried before because it went away, but now I have had the pain for 5 days and there is a bump. Just want to know if this is something I need to have looked at? or is this most likely just a bruise from sitting so long? I have read many horrific stories of different things on the internet and have freaked myself out. I need some help.

Health Advisor
I am not sure but my sister had pain above her butt crack and she also had some puss draining. She was so disgusted with this pus and freaked that he went to see a doc right away.

She was found to have a Pilonidal cyst, which is actually an abscess form of accumulation of hairs and pus under the skin. It may hurt when it gets inflamed and it instantly starts draining pus or even bloody fluid.

A doc drained her cyst at his office but there are also cysts that haven’t been filled with puss and there is no treatment for them. People are usually advised to have warm bath to get rid of pain. The problem with these cysts is that they are often recurrent.

It may not be your case, but you could check it anyway just to be on the safe side.

I know this question was posted a long time ago, but I am looking online right now for help with the same problem and feel like I'm reading about my story exactly, except I haven't been to any tournaments lately. I am 23 and have been feeling pain in my tailbone for only a few days, but it went rapidly from non existent to excruciating in a day or two. I was just wondering what help you found. Did you go to the doctor or just use home remedies? Did the pain go away? I really don't want to spend the money on a doctor if there is something I can do at home. I have a heating pad on it as I am typing, but am hardly able to sit, lie down, or walk. I was also wondering if walking helps to alleviate the pain or makes it worse. Thanks!

ch08 wrote:

Hi I've been having the same thing for years. I just gently push on it with a piece of tissue and despite the pain it drains of pus and blood and then I clean it. I get it when I sit awkwardly - probably twice a year. You'd better get used to it.

Yes, it's a Pilonidal cyst, and is very very painful. The first time I had it, I waited until i couldn't sit anymore to go to the emergency room. I had to drive the whole way there up on one knee because the pain got so bad. At that point, they did drain it in the ER because I had allowed it to get to the size of a TENNIS BALL. Most of this is inside the skin, pressed against the tailbone, so i had no idea it was so large.

Anyway, I do get recurring cysts every now and then.. but now I know what to do. The trick is to catch them early enough, like as soon as you feel pain or swelling. You will need to keep a warm, wet heat applied to the area (not dry heat like a heating pad, but wet heat like a washcloth) at least 5 times a day for 15 minutes a piece. By the 3rd day, you should be draining freely (so gross) and the pain will subside immediately upon drainage. Good luck to all of you with our shared pain.

I just read your posts and I think I have the same thing! It has stayed around for a few weeks now, and am going to the doctor next week. I'm freaking out that it's a tumor or something!

I also have pain on my tailbone and I can feel a bump, but there is no pus and nothing is draining. Is this a pilonidal cyst, do you think?

Had a bad bout of it some years ago. Was a small area on my tailbone but hurt only when it sit and to the touch. The skin had what looked like a sore. That was due to having very little fatty tissue at the end of the tailbone when doing a sitting all day job. Used a pillow to sit on that raised my tailbone slightly off the chair and I was fine within a month or so.
Recently I started getting it again not too uncomfortable smaller area don't really burst out that much. but also too i found out i had HSV2. i also have a scaly rash on my back for the past two years. I honestly believe that my skin condition is directly related somehow to the herpes Virus. Just have to deal with it topically whenever it arises.

where does your bloody fluid/puss come out? I think I have it too.

Omg you guys saved my life!!! I was putting like 7 types of creams on this and nothing was working....I'm so happy I found this....the draining is gross!!!! Not the prettiest site ever but follow what she says and this will work and the pain is slowly going away I can lay . Im I'mso happy this is somewhat over i Ithink ima try again in 15 mins.... bed properly once the draining started ....thank you again.

awesome all you guys and gals are awesome great remedies thanks for the help.....

k3lly61982 wrote:

I've had a sore tailbone for about 3 months with no help from back doctor to my primary doctor. They cannot do anything. Went to my Chiropractor, he took an x-ray. My lower back discs are curving which at this point has caused my tailbone to twist. After 1 adjustment WOW what a difference. Because my discs need to be realigned I am having this chiropractor continue the work. What a blessing...I would recommend trying it, but only after an x-ray first. He would not work on me without this. I also had been experiencing right leg problems and urgency to urinate which all seem to radiate around that area with nerves. Alls I know is I hurt and now it's 90 percent better after 1 treatment. He said it usually takes a week (a few treatments) to notice, but this is great that I already feel a difference. Amen! Hope this helps someone.

HI im 17 years old and i think i have that!!! my tail bone hurtss and its been hurting for about 4 days it first started when i would sit it would hurt and gradually the pain has increased, now it hurts when i bend,lay down,sit,walk etc. when i go to lay down on my side i have to do it very slowly! im scared i dont want to go to the doctor/hospital. idk what to do :-(

how do you drain?? i think i may have it because my tail has been hurting but i have no idea how to drain and there is nothing coming out?? HELP!!

HI! so i have this same thing.. i went to the doctors today because it drained this morning.. it is draining a significant amount of puss and blood and has a stentch to it.. really bbad.. anway when i went to the doctor this morning he said that in order for it to not be recurring i would need surgery... to top it all of this is happening my first week of college 5 hours away from home!! I am hoping i do not have to have the surgery... did anyone else get recommended to have surgery??