I'm not sure if I should take this seriously or wait it out. About 4 days ago I've noticed that the tissue around my tailbone has become red and swollen. It's very painful to sit and lie on. I don't recall anything that could've caused this injury. The swollen area doesn't move around so I'm not sure if this is a cyst. I'm trying to avoid the doc due to no health insurance. Does anybody have any advice?

It happens more than often that causes of tailbone pains remain unknown. However, there are many possible conditions that may be causing tailbone pain like sciatica, infection, pilonidal cysts, or a fractured bone.
Pain in the tailbone is called coccydynia and it could be diagnosed either by the symptoms or upon examination that may include CAT or MRI to check for any bone abnormalities.

Since the pain is usually aggravated when sitting, many people use well-padded seats. It is advised to rest and possibly take some of the painkillers to relieve the symptoms.

Formation of the pilondial cyst above the tailbone could cause symptoms similar to yours. They include pain and swelling at the bottom of the spine, redness around the area, draining puss and possibly fever.

If your pain persists, you should definitely see a doc!

I have the exact same problem you are having (were having?? since it is not July). I have a somewhat hard bump on my tailbone and it is a little red and very warm to the touch. It's hard to sit, sleep, and even walk sometimes. I would really love to avoid going to the doctor because I have no health insurance. Is there any update to your injury?

i had the same problem for the last 4 days. I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL, were its swollen theres something called puss inside. they have to puncture the well and squeeze all that stuff out, IT IS EXTREMELY PAINFUL when they do this, so i recomment taking some tylenol before going to the doctor.

Guest wrote:

I have the exact same thing. It hurts like hell!!! Guess what???? I'm pregnant....so the pain is even more vigorous... I've had this problem for the last 7-8 years. The bump is right above my butt. So like if I was standing side ways with a tight dress on you can see it petruding out. Is this what you have???? I have gone to the Doctor for this about a year ago.. He sent me to have x-rays and determined that it was swollen or a bruised tail bone that could have come from my hips shifting during the delivery of my daughter. The remedy was to go to the chiropractor at least 2-3 times a week, Hey it could have worked but I stopped going after the second week. WHen I touch it , I feel a bone but it is also puffy around the area. I think that it very well might be fluid inside that needs to be drained. What causes this? I am very self-concious about this... I f I could just get it removed or fixed. I feel like a giant ox (big and pregnent with a swollen tailbone....I hate undressing in front of my husband!!! I don't feel sexy , I feel abnormal....What kind of Doctor should I see??? Somebody help!!!!!!!!

Embarrased Body

Hello! I also at times have a sore tailbone. It feels bruised and swollen. I get it when I take a bath when i'm washing my hair, sliding on the hard bottom of the bathtub. It seems to show up about 2 days later. Hope that helps:)