I have had this pain spot at end of spine/top of ass crack/tail bone area for a while. I have a high pain tolerance, but this is bothering me too much. It registers in my mind as feeling like a tight spot or nub, but there does not seem to be an actual visible injury to that area. I cannot walk, sit, lay down, or even shift a little without a shooting and stabbing pain there. Even when I find a semi-comfortable position where the pain is at least bearable, there is still a stabbing throbbing pain. It even woke me up from a deep sleep (from exhaustion) only after about 5 hours. When google-ing around I found a site that says this might be about my Coccyx. I do not know though (didn't even know I had one of those). So, my first question is what is it that I have? Do I need to go to the hospital or something for this? And what is a good way to help get rid/alleviate the painfulness?

Proctalgia fugax is a severe, episodic, anal pain. It can be caused by cramp of the pubococcygeus or levator ani muscles

I have had the same exact pain. It comes and goes. I usually think its because I've sat weird or soemthing, but I can't ever remember a specific injury. Sometimes I feel a sensitive nub, right at the same location, just above or just to the side of the top of the crack. So far I have come up empty. I think it COULD be a cyst of some sort, but all those seem to have external visibility. If you find anything post it.

I have the same pain now and the drs thought it was my sciatic nerve but the mri was negative. Thats a good thing but we still dont have an anwer.. Its at the top op my butt crack and goes down to the middle and sometimes bottom of my butt cheek. It hurts worse to sit down or squat or anything of that nature.. They are trying to tell me that maybe i just pulled a muscle.. I DONT THINK SO!! I know what one of those feels like.. If anyone finds out anything specific please post cause its just getting worse and worse it seems and its been 2 months now...

Proctalgia fugax is characterized by a sudden, intense spasm of the anal opening usually lasting less than a minute, but in some rare cases can last up to an hour. These sharp stabbing cramps can occur a few times daily, then be absent for weeks or months. They are intense enough to wake someone from sleep, and often do. This condition is experienced by about 13 percent of adults and is actually more common among women than men.

The most common treatment for proctalgia fugax is simply to push on or massage the anal area or the perineum. This may be done manually, or by straddling the edge of an empty bathtub (carefully) or sitting on a tennis ball (which could make for a great scene should your roommate or partner chose to walk in. "What?" you ask innocently, "I'm just trying to hatch this tennis ball!"). Other measures that might help are soaking in a warm bath, and including plenty of fiber and liquids in your diet to keep the stools soft. The asthma drug Salbutamol can be prescribed by your health care provider. Lastly, because one possible cause is stress, you might lessen the number of attacks by practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or looking into other stress management techniques.

A similar condition is levator ani syndrome. Distinct from proctalgia fugax, this pain is felt higher up in the rectal passage as more of a tight pressure than sharp cramps, and often lasts for 20 minutes or longer. You can ease an attack of levator ani syndrome by soaking in a bath of hot water, standing or walking around, massaging the levator ani muscles (by inserting a clean finger up the rectum), or taking an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or naproxen.

FYI, cramps come from prolonged contraction of muscle fibers. Cramping often occurs during or right after exercise, when you sweat a lot or have a fever, from repetitive motion (such as writing — writer's cramp), and as a result of poor blood circulation (sometimes associated with leg cramps). Some cramp-reducers include:

Massaging the affected area, which often reduces the pain and duration of the cramping.
Adding more potassium-rich foods to your diet (such as bananas and walnuts), which could help alleviate and prevent future cramps.
Using medicine prescribed by your health care provider if you're chronically cramped.

You all have a pilonidal cyst. It is not visible and is extremely painful. I have one and had it operated on 6 times and it kept coming back every time. Get it looked at asap before it gets worse because trust me it can and will get worse if you just leave it. Hope everything works out because you'll be out of action for a while.

The first time i noticed it was like a year ago, and it never happens during the day, it only wakes me up at night ! It's a weird pain, it feels like its in the rectum but it's not, it's deeper down. The pain lasts for about 30 minutes each time, and its enough to make me whimper, even though I have a high pain tolerance. ! Moving around or changing positions doesn't help much, I just have to wait for it to go away...At first I thought it was internal hemorrhoids, but i don't have any consistent symptoms or anything..According to my research, i've narrowed it down to
A. Proctalgia fugax
B. Coccyx

Thinking out loud here, I'm leaning more towards Proctalgia fugax because it's more random, and shorter lasting. Coccyx pain will onset or get worse when you sit down, lunge, or squat (ie physical movement). That doesn't happen to me, the pain is just there and then it disappears as surprisingly as it started. I've found that taking Advil or similar analgesics can help :-| also massaging the area might help dull the pain...

I don't think what most users here described is a cyst, because then if you touch anywhere around that area, or change positions in a way that aggravates it, the pain would be stabbing and you would be able to narrow it down to a certain location. I can't pinpoint exactly where the pain is!
Please share any thoughts/feedback you find! 8-| 8)

I pretty i have the same pain that you guys have discribed, how long did it take to go away?
and did you have to get it treated?

any information you have on the topic would be greatly appreached

I have this same pain, but probably a little less severe. I think it started when I fell (I skateboard). But, it hurts to sit down, walk, lie down and use the bathroom. And, when I 'flex' what I think is the PC muscle hard, I feel a crack, like when you're cracking your knuckles. Honestly, its been going on for about 2 months, and I'm starting to get a little worried.

I have this pain since almost 6 months now , gets worst when I have to use the restroom. I remember of this one episode when I had hard stools and it made me pass blood too. Its called anal fissures and happens to irritate the skin around the anal opening. I have also read that using local analgesics and laxatives might help the situation. I wont say my situation has gotten any better but I drink a lot of water, this has ensured my symptoms havent got worse. So, please note if you have this pain during restroom activities or just in general. I think keeping away from processed food like bread, patas rice may help to alleviate the pain. Hope this helps.

Hey... it is called Ischias

oooooooooooooooooooo....i have the same thing , the pain is at the end of my spine and its the 24/7. i have been feeling the pain all the time but ignoring it. it hurts the most when i sit and feels wierd when i walk. but i can still do everything i used to do just i have to go through a whole lot a pain first, well i still go to school and everything like nothings wrong. i guess i should get it checked out or something. im only 13 so i probaly tell my mom. i just dont like hearing bad news at the doctors or even go to em. thats why i just pray away the pain. hoping it will go... %-)

I've been having a dull pain that feels like is coming from the very tip of tailbone. I noticed it about 3-4 months ago and I'm wondering why I'm having this pain. I have'nt "hit" my tailbone in more than 12 or so years. I noticed the pain when I would go to stand up from seated and sometimes from squat position The pain isnt really acute but I can definitly tell something is going on there that I've never experienced before. Its a dull pain that seems to go away after I get on my feet. About 2 weeks ago I felt around the end of my tailbone and thought I found the source of the pain. At first I thought it was at tip of tailbone itself but as I probed (lol) around with my index finger around tailbone (no I didnt have my finger in my ass lol) It feels like a hard spot seperate from my tailbone, but very close to it. It kinda feels rounded and about the size of a Garbonzo Bean. It is hard but I dont think it is as hard as bone. It feels like its maybe a cm or 2 below end of tailbone. I've kinda been concerned about it but the pain isnt overwhelming and I only notice the pain when I stand up or sit down. The pain hasnt really changed that I can notice, just annoying everytime I feel it and makes me think to myself could it be serious and should I goto Dr. and have it looked at? The last couple of years I have been in a seated position most of my day. Could that be the cause of this dull pain somehow? I hope that is all there is to it and not the C word or some other scary thing. I noticed a lot of people that posted are having a lot worse time than me about this topic. I hope you guys get yours taken care of. As for me Should I goto the Dr. ? :-( ?

I've been having a dull pain that feels like is coming from the very tip of tailbone. I noticed it about 3-4 months ago and I'm wondering why I'm having this pain. I have'nt "hit" my tailbone in more than 12 or so years. I noticed the pain when I would go to stand up from seated and sometimes from squat position The pain isnt really acute but I can definitly tell something is going on there that I've never experienced before. Its a dull pain that seems to go away after I get on my feet. About 2 weeks ago I felt around the end of my tailbone and thought I found the source of the pain. At first I thought it was at tip of tailbone itself but as I probed (lol) around with my index finger around tailbone (no I didnt have my finger in my ass lol) It feels like a hard spot seperate from my tailbone, but very close to it. It kinda feels rounded and about the size of a Garbonzo Bean. It is hard but I dont think it is as hard as bone. It feels like its maybe a cm or 2 below end of tailbone. I've kinda been concerned about it but the pain isnt overwhelming and I only notice the pain when I stand up or sit down. The pain hasnt really changed that I can notice, just annoying everytime I feel it and makes me think to myself could it be serious and should I goto Dr. and have it looked at? The last couple of years I have been in a seated position most of my day. Could that be the cause of this dull pain somehow? I hope that is all there is to it and not the C word or some other scary thing. I noticed a lot of people that posted are having a lot worse time than me about this topic. I hope you guys get yours taken care of. As for me Should I goto the Dr. and is anyone else experiencing symptoms similar to mine? Thanks.

You have just described my pain exactly. It doesn't hurt everyday but when it does it is extreme. It hurts to reposition myself and standing up is very painful. I have not fallen either. I have had this pain for about 8 months. I don't feel anything like a small bump like you though. I just have pain at the top of my tailbone. It doesn't hurt when I am standing just sitting. I sit most of the day with my job. Some days are really bad. Let me know if you find anything out.