I am a 51 year old man, and a grandfather of a 2 year old little boy. I have been concerned about some of my grandsons behavior and was researching disorders on the internet for small children.

I have had my own issues in my life and not to thrilled about finding out what a diagnosis would be for myself. I have a snap your finger, look at me wrong, make a smart remark about me or my family. I will go into a rage. I have no control over it, it happens so fast i can't react fast enough to prevent the rage from happening. I cannot control the rage it just happens. I have only reacted in violence once, but what scares the sh*t out of me is that the mind set for violence is there when i am raging and could act on it without being able to stop it. I found this diagnosis of Intermitted Explosive  Disorder and it pretty much fits me to a T. The problem that i have with the info i have found is that they refer to people having 3, 4, or 5 rage episodes throughout there lives or a period of time. I only have to wish it was 3,4, or 5 episodes.  It is a constant threat in my life. The most problems it has caused me is behavioral problems on the job. Due to the rage issues i seem to have i have had many confrontations with co-workers, management, supervisors which in the past as cost me my job.

I don't have health insurance anymore due to being recently discharge from my job, not because of my rage, but a new company buyout. which doesn't help the rage at all, Stress does seem to be a trigger. The stress i am going thru now is unbelievably crazy. I need to get  proper diagnosis, and treatment for the safety of myself, my family and whoever wants to cross my path, but i don't know where to start, in the state my life is currently in. I would appreciate any advice i can get.

Ask your doctor about carbamazepine. I Googled it and found that there is evidence to suggest a correlation between it and anger management after discovering for myself that in fact, after taking it (400mgs a day) I calmed down immediately, my girlfriend would actually get in a car with me and the number of things I smashed or through across the street diminished profoundly. I must say that after a break from the carbamazepine - don't recall why - I started taking it again and now I feel like tearing the door off my car again. Bummer. Convinced it's chemical. It's usually over before I know what happened. Angry men are not popular and there is only trouble at the end of that road. If I don't hurt someone, someone will surely hurt me. Nice while it lasted.