I was in a car accident.I felt short of breath and weak for 3 days.I was found in my room not breathing.Paramedics revived me and was taken to emergency. I was so dehydrated my IV had to be in my groin.They found internal bleeding and I had 2 blood transfusions.They also found a collapsed lung that had to be pumped up for 4 days. Then 5 months later my legs swelled terribly with venous stasis,I was hospitalized for a week on strong meds.,I was terribly anemic again and had 4 transfusions.
I was told this was all probably due to the seatbelt bruising my kidneys or pancreas.How could that be? And will it reoccur?

Hi there,

I have to be honest and tell you that I really don’t know if this condition will reoccur but I know that seatbelt can cause trauma to your kidney and pancreas. My uncle had something similar, but he wasn’t in that great accident as you were. When he got in an accident his seatbelt hold him really hard to his seat, which is good, but he had pain in his chest and his kidneys got injured. After this he had a lot of blood in his urine but he didn’t lost as much blood as you have. I think that this will pass and you just have to be patient. Your transfusion need time to adjust in your body.