I am 51, I have irregular periods, some are long with only two or three heavy days and the rest light days, but they last about 2 weeks, every month or so. I got screened and the gine found I have miomas in the uterus and a small scyst in one of my ovaries. I have no pain. Am I a candidate for ablation?

No, you are definitely not a candidate for an ablation. Uterine ablation is a procedure where the lining of the uterus is removed and it is only helpful in treating heavy menstrual bleedings when there is no apparent physical reason.

Myomas, fibroids and other benign uterine growth usually grow within uterine walls and muscles and removal of the uterine lining won’t get rid of these growths.

These myomas are probably a reason for your prolonged bleedings. The only way to get rid of then is by surgically removing them. There are two options. One procedure is called myomectomy in which these growths are removed and another one is hysterectomy in which a whole uterus is removed and should be your last option. I would never remove the whole uterus unless in the presence of cancer.
It is a very bad thing to do, especially for a woman entering menopause when lack of hormones is already making a mess in a woman’s body.

Ovarian cysts are usually harmless (unless they grow to be very big and bloody) and go away on their own in about three months time tops. Of course it depends on what kind of cysts they are.

What did your gynecologist suggest?

Thank you for your reply, it is very useful for me. I asked several opinions and a few were to have a hysterectomy, might as well; and a couple of them were not to have a hysterectomy!