I won this test as a door prize from my bike club. A new Bike shop in Philly is associated with Carmichael Training Systems (CTS). So I went out, changed into running gear and did the test prep and review. Having to step on the scale one week after Christmas was not fun; but, the good side is when I get back to fighting weight, my stats will be better.

First up was the LT test. Based on my time at a 10k in October we would increase the speed of the treadmill every 3 minutes until LT was reached. I was also wearing the O2 mask. This took about 25 minutes to reach LT. Results: LT is at HR 170 @ 7:30 pace. My marathon pace should be about 8:20 for a sub 3:40. A BQ of 3:15 might be in the near future.

Next was the big test. If you have seen American Flyers, you know you have to run on an incline until you are about to keel over. They had a second guy behind the treadmill to catch me in case I did a face plant. They will set the treadmill at 7.7 and raise the incline 1% every minute. I just keep running as my HR goes up, up and away and I sound more like Darth Vader with each passing minute. I almost finished the 6% grade. He said I had a great test. Thanks, I can die now. Well, I did have a great test. Max HR was 187 and VO2 max was 51.0, fitness level Superior. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Nice job! :thumbsup:

:coach: way to go! like that incline stuff :umno:

i'd like to have this done but have no idea where to even inquire about them here in Marlboro Country.

Ya do got that going for ya! :thumbsup: SUPERIOR!

Great results. Keep up the good work

Great results! How far off were your numbers/estimates that you used in training (I'm assuming that you do some form of HR training).
Also, did they do on-the-run blood testing for the LT? Just curious. I hate blood, and I'd hate to do a power ostrich onto the treadmill because of it.

I had been using 190 as my max; but, I'm not as young as I used to be either.
The LT test was during the treadmill run. I stradled the belt for about 20-30 seconds while they took a drop from a finger.

Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Not Worthy!!!!! :bowdown:

This morning I took the VO2 Max test as apart of a climbing group study, so I got in for free. They use the test where you run on the treadmill and they increase the incline until you conk out (reach max HR or collapse). That mask is not fun. Evidently there is a bike test too, but they don't use it.

Some things that we noted:

1. My 54 year old climbing partner's VO2 Max was 59.5, which is UNREAL for his age. He was the SECOND highest absolute value, regardless of age in our group.
2. People that are used to high rates of exertion at higher altitudes (above 8000') generally have high VO2 Max results, as climbers seem to excel in this test.
3. She explained that there are tests without using the mask, but they are not as accurate, though some are pretty close.
4. Also explained was that there are some theories that VO2 Max is more influenced by genetics than originally thought.

My own results were a VO2 Max of 53.46 with a population average for 39 year old males of 40.9, meaning I am 130% of the typical 39 year old male.

Stuart, my climbing partner, scored 59.57 which compares to the population average of 36.7 for his age and gender, putting him at 162% of his expected value.

Only one person beat Stu's numbers, a 35 year old ice-climber that is in incredible shape scoring a VO2 Max of 61.4. He's pretty much bonk-proof on the ice and he keeps super fit with tons of running and cross training. I am envious...