I am a 22 year old female, and for the past couple of years, I have been experiencing the most excruciating stomach pains which radiate into my lower back...once every three months or so. For the past year or so, I have also been having extremely irregular bowel movements which can be anywhere from 3 to 6 days without being able to have a bowel movement, by which time, I usually get so sick feeling that I have to induce them by taking Milk of Magnesia.

When experiencing the stomach pains, they hit all of a sudden, and are so intense that I often make myself retch to try and vomit to get any relief from the pain. They are very unusual stomach pains, since they almost feel like the cramps I have on my first day of my menstrual period, only about 10 times more painful. I do not experience nausea when I have these pains, which is even more strange. Within about the first 20 minutes of the pain, it radiates into my lower back.

Can anybody please help me and tell me what is going on here? I thought maybe I have stomach ulcers, but I'm finding that hard to believe because this situation doesn't happen all of the time --- just every few months. I'm also worried regarding reproductive problems, since ovarian cancer and cancer of the uterus runs on my mother's side.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.