:-( I am 20 years old and I got my menstrual period this morning. I am pretty heavy, and usually have many cramps. So, after getting out of bed this morning, i had my usual lower abdominal cramps, but with some left abdominal pain as well. Its very intense and hurts more if I lean on my left side, so I'm walking around tilted to the right. There is no swelling, but there the pain also radiates to the side of me and to my back. It hurts the same standing up or laying down. I know it is not any type of pain i have experienced before and its separate from my cramps. I did take 2 advil before the pain started, and my menstrual cramps went away, but this emerged. It really really hurts. Also, I have had difficult having a bowel movement today. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

Hi I don't know if you ever figured out what's wrong, but the same thing is kind of happening to me. I'm also 20 and I just woke up this morning with pain in my lower left side ( I assume it's my ovary) and it wraps around to my lower left back. It also hurts too much to try to push out a bowel movement in my left side. The pain goes from dull and annoying to stabbing for a few minutes and then right back. Do you have any idea?

Hey....

I don't know if you girls got answer to your pain problems. I had the same issue lower left abdominal pain radiating to my left back and was diagnosed with left ovarian cyst. I would suggest you get it checked by your OB/GYN.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, and i was diagnosed with a urine infection. Unfortunatly, i found out that my boyfriend had chlymidia at the same time, so it could have been resulting to either.

I had the same uncomfortable bowel movements and lower left abdominal pain that spread to my back.

I'd suggest you get tested for chlymidia just in case, and maybe visit your doctor to check for a urine infection as both can cause serious damage.

I hope this helps :-)

See a doctor. Lower left side pain can be caused from several things. First if you have had painfull periods for a long time you might want to research endometriosis as a cause. The scare tissue can travel to other sites in your pelvis and attach to the intestines. You said you have had a hard time having a BM- your large intestine; AKA colon is also on the lower left side. That is a common site for bowel obstructions. You need to be seen especially if you get neaseus or vomit. Your ovaries are also on the sides and endometrial tissue can cause pain during menese in them as well. Ussually functioning cyst that every mensturating women has are tender mid cycle when they are "ripe" and you are ovulating.

So you can see- there are many things that can cause lowe left side pain and you need to see an MD who can order the correct test.

Let me know what happens?

did you women ever figure out what was wrong? i am 16 and am on my period now, and am having these exact same problems. i was rushed to the e.r. last night with the most extreme pains in my lower left back around to my left hip. They did blood testing, looked at my urine, and i had some ct scans which were all being checked for ovarian cysts or kidney stones. all the tests came back negative, but now the doctors are starting to think there is a problem with my gallbladder. i am going in today to have more tests done and to see if they can find anything else out.

TO GUEST WHO POSTED IN MAY 2011..what was the result of your tests?  I am not on my period right now but am midcycle (the ovulating stage) but an having this horrible pais..the same as described in this blog.  Not sure what it is, but it hurts more when I am standing and applying pressure on my left leg.  Ive had the pain for about 4 to 5 days now which is 4 to 5 days toooo long =/ plz let me know what they found out about ur pain.

Hi, as with all the previous posts i too am in my 20's and am having the same problems, it started yesterday very dull abdo, hip, through to back pain but unlike everyone else mine is on both sides, although the left being more troublesome, i actually have had tests for endometriosis which i have on my right pelvis side, i also have IBS which i have had for 8 years now, but non of the pains i have at the min are my typical symptoms, so i am wandering is this something else, as my usual symptoms include sharp stabbing, cramping and spasm pains with severe bloating and trouble with BM, anyone have any clues

To Melissa I was having the same problem about a year ago & my gyno told me that I was ovulating & the pain I was feeling was when my eggs were dropping. He informed me that if the pain does become to severe you could talk to your gyno & have them prescribe you the meds.

LISAMR0210...Thanks for the info...the last thing I need tho are pain meds.  I just got over a bad habit of pills =/ and never wanna go thru that again...Id rather just deal with the pain.

Try a hot water bottle on ut tummy and back it will help.

I have had this issue for years. Its caused by constipation. You you don't poop it builds up the blocatge and can be pretty painfull. Eat some prunes. The prunes may cause some stomach cramps but once you finnaly go to the bathroom you'll feel the pain even more but the next day it should be gone.

@ MarVol

Did you have all the same symptoms? Lower left back pain and lower left abdominal pain? I have been constipated for a couple days and this started last night- It radiates off and on but seems to be getting a little worse