Hello, Im a 25 year old male with some strange stomach troubles that I have been living with all my life and recently are getting worse. Hopefully some one will read this and respond with some answers. When I was younger the fourth grade to be exact I was having constant attacks of nausea that would cause me to be in a mild panic like state. I was overweight when this begun and soon lost it to a normal weight. My parents gave me antacids for when I felt nauseated but did not work. I was checked out by my doctor and was sent for a barium x-ray(unsure if it was a barium meal xray or a different type since i had to drink two cups of barium over the course of an hour). Nothing was found on the xray and then sent to a pediatrician.No luck. Still nauseated and to no resolve. After about six months and alot of time of missed school days the problem seemed to have went away and my parents dismissed it as "growing pains" since my mom went through a similar episode when she was young. Fast forward four years to 1995/96. A month or so after I had a bout of gastroenteritis, I was once again overweight my old symptoms of bouts of nausea returned to my dismay. Once again going to my doctor and missing alot of school, taking antacids and losing alot of weight 40 lbs approx.No resolve. It went away about nine months after it started while I was just starting highschool. It would return in a very stressful situation once in a while after that but nothing to loose sleep over. Five years would go by this time (2001) a month after a case of Norwalk Virus the familiar old symptoms returned and I was once again overweight 240 lbs at my peak. I was missing alot of work and my employer was getting suspicious of me and believed that i was inventing the whole thing as laziness. This time round the syptoms would be different and varied from the nausea to strange attacks that lasted me entire nights. My bouts of nausea each time would last about an hour or less, sometimes a bit more before leaving me. When this would happen all I wanted was to be alone in my own space until it would leave.I would dread it happening in public places or at dinner places.So I would naturally try to avoid these situations especially eating in public. During the nausea I can manage to eat but slowly and carefully.I lost nearly 90lbs in approx a year.At the time I smoked and my diet wasnt that great, I ate alot of bread, soup and rice anything that was easy on the stomach. Now six years later (2007) I still have big problems with my stomach, Ive been to counsellers, who told me that I may also have some sort of anxiety disorder. I dont know if its because my stomach causes this or vice versa. I quit smoking 2 years ago and Im at a healthy weight.I also have made big changes to my diet no more bland crackers and rice for dinner I now eat plenty of fibres, fruits protein etc. But my stomach has also gotton worse :-( I still miss alot of work because of it mostly visits to the doctor and now Iam starting a new job in two weeks and I dont want to get fired because of this. I also get alot of headaches mostly because of tension in my shoulder blades and Im gereraly a very stressed person. My stomach recently (the last month) has been getting a very sharp pain in my upper abdomin that I can feel in the center of my back and abit on my sides.My doctor prescribed me 150mg of Ranitidine to take twice a day and I was sent for a Barium Meal x-ray which Iam still awaiting results.He also told me to stay away from coffee but I have these pains hours after I drink it, today was 12 hours later. In all these years of having this I have never vomited from it but I have come close several times. Does anyone else have a similar problem or is going through what Iam? I want to get on with my life and enjoy it I dont want to be a slave to my own stomach anymore. Anything would be appreciated. If anything was unclear I will post a response to any questions.Thank you for your time reading my ranting.

Well I got my xray results today and nothing unusual came up.All is "normal".
Still doesnt answer any questions for me.

Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your stomach problems. If your x-rays came back negative to any problems try blood work, stool samples and urine samples. If all these come back with no problems maybe you should consider neurological. The brain does tricky things and there are several neurological syndromes that cause frequent and inconsistant abdominal pain that can take over the patient's life and lasts for many many years, such as CFAPS. You say this has been happening since childhood? But make sure all physical tests are completed first before considering anything neurological. Do you have frequent constipation or diarreaha?

Hello, Thanks for reading.I have non of the bowel symptoms you asked but sometimes I can go for a few days without going to the bathroom (#2) But I often have gas. My Doctor gave me a prescription for ativan recently to use when my stomach does this as it could be related to an anxiety disorder of some sort. Bi-polar Disorder runs on my fathers side of the family and he was diagnosed with it 4-5 years ago. You got me thinking now about it possibly being neurological since my grandmother (also on my fathers side) died of a strange brain disease that no one could figured out what she had.They said it was probably PSP.

Hi, I stumbled across this and felt the need to respond. I am a 25 yr old female, and I can pinpoint the moment when my life went crazy. I was 9 yrs old and I was at a pizza place with the family and before eating I had a terrible stomach ache. The next day I woke up and it was still there, this continued for a long time. Dr. visit after Dr. visit nothing showed up. "She is young and complains a lot- she'll be fine. Give her this medicine (it tasted horrible) and she will stop complaining" Pretty much using that as a threat, However it continued. Jump 17 yrs later and yep- I am still in the same boat. I have had barium (sp) enemas, xrays, stool samples, blood work, colonoscopies, endoscopies, EVERYTHING- but nothing prevailed. I have been taking phenergan on a daily basis for a couple years now and that is starting to not work and the Dr. feels that I can't possibly still be hurting and that I may have a substance abuse problem. Which brings me here. I had a complete hysterectomy by the time I was 22 (one of 10 surgeries within 3 yrs) and had my gall bladder out that summer. Just for info, my appendix was taken out when I was 13. So, if I was a substance abuser well believe me phenergan would not be my choice, I have had much better. haha- whew I am blowing some steam. So, on Monday I will be having another ultrasound to see if anything new appears. So yes, I feel your pain, and I felt like you were writing about me. Thankyou for making me feel as though I am not crazy. When I find out some test results I will post. Again, thankyou, and I am so sorry that you are going through this. Noone can possibly understand unless it is happening to you. God Bless! Let me know if anything new occurs with you.

I also can pinpoint the moment when this nightmare started. I had a very bad experience of being sick with vomiting. After which I developed chronic nausea (that did NOT result in vomiting). It was not easy to isolate causes/triggers. It wasn't certain foods, certain situations etc. It was just chronic, several hours of every day. I also had an obsessive "thinking" issue of once I feel nauseas I get vivid images of vomiting or embarrassing situations were I to vomit- but never do. I hate the thought, smell, sight (even on tv) of vomit.
I don't know if the chicken or the egg was first but at the same time (13) I was diagnosed with a severe anxiety problem- mostly social (as the original post said- public situations, growing up it was school, now its work, meeting and car rides are the worst- basically any situation were I am not within distance of a toilet or where/when it would be extremely inappropriate or unable to get to one in case of vomiting occurring). I do occasionally get it in a non-threatening setting like home or as stated "my own safe space". In ten years I have vomited 6 times and probably five was due to alcohol- never this issue.

It has been 10 years, I have went a route the others didn't take- I refused all medical treatment and went straight to psychological treatment. Anxiety and mental illness is my family tree :-( I have been on many antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications, and they make life more manageable but they are not a cure. I eat packs of chewable pepto, drink gallons of gingerale, chew lots of peppermint gum, little things I have learned help. Tonight I was at my wits end- which happens every so often I just break down because I internalize everything and go through life fighting at war with my own mind and body. No one in my life has the capacity to understand how incredibly difficult it is to be me. I went online to search for answers because I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm exhausted of fighthing (this may sound suicidal but I am NOT AT ALL, it's not like that so please don't interpret it that way). I just want a cure. I just want to be normal and not have to feel sick, anxious, uncomfortable, irritable, unable to enjoy so many of life's activities and events, working the job that I LOVE but having it be torture at the same time. I want desperately to explain myself to my boss so she will extend some compassion and at least be aware and understand and not think I'm a weirdo or stupid when I have to excuse myself at totally inappropriate times. However, I can't bring myself to do it because I pride myself on appearing to function as normal as possible and I just don't know if she would understand and I don't want to jeopardize myself.

To make matters worse, I also after a serious bladder infection developed the same issue with the urge to pee. Since I started my first real job 6 months ago after college, I have also developed chronic bowel movements and sometimes even diarrhea (I have had days of going 5 times while at work). My life is at an all time level of unbearable. Between the nausea and the urges to use the restroom, and anxiety- I feel like I have at least one at all times- literally every minute of every day and I AM ON MEDICATION- I just feel like an absolute head-case and I just want to feel better. My next appointment is July and I am going to lay my cards on the table with my new doctor because I am sick and tired- and I'm 23!!!! I just can't help but feel like I develop kind of bad neurological connection from my brain to my body caused by traumatic incidents. I feel like my own worst enemy- it's a viscous cycle.

Thank You so much though- knowing I am not alone is truly a wonderful feeling. I would love to speak to you both, the two who posted feeling similarly, perhaps over e-mail to vent or give each other helpful coping suggestions???? Thanks -Alissa

Wow, everyone here seems to be in the same, yet totally different, agonizing pain... as sad as it is, it is SO nice to hear I am not alone...

I am also a female, age 25. I currently suffer from chronic nausea. I am still very confused as to why this is happening to me, so I am resorting to finding help online... or even finding comfort in those who are the same...

Anyway... For as long back as I can remember, waking up early in the morning made me nauseated. Brushing my teeth was not even an option; everymorning waking up for school consisted of soaking in a hot bath to try and relieve the nausea. I actually told my new junior high teacher that I had morning sickness. After getting laughed at I learned my mistake, but it still perfectly fit what was going on with me. I know, what could the morning have anything to do with nausea? But it did. I swear, if I woke up past like 11, i was totally ok. I had seen a doc. a few times for this... but they were not concerned enough to really do anything. I was given a pill to take at night for indegestion, but the smell it caused in my throat ( i know that sounds wierd) was too much to bear so i stopped.

Now fast forward to about a year ago. The nausea that I have always had, and had basically learned to just deal with and try to ignore, got worse... and lasted into the day. This f-ing nightmare continued to escalate and turned into FOUR MONTHS that I could not get out of bed. I went from phenergan all the way through every nausea medication to zofran (very strong, given to surgical outpatients and chemo patients) and even that stopped working. I was even taking the disolvable kind that works instantly is like $50 a pill (thank goodness for health insurance). The only two things that releive my nausea are a SCALDING hot bath (not sure why, it just sort of shocks my system into a numb state for an hour or so) and pot. I considered getting my medical marijuana card but damn... thats kind of a last resort thing, ya know? I love to be stoned but i DONT love to have to wake up in the middle of the night and choke down a bowl just so i can go back to sleep. Being stoned all day is NOT the productivity I want out of my life...

Basically I spent that four months going through every test i could get an appointment for, neurological, intestinal, the works. They just kept sending me home. I had been to the er several times for the horrible pain in my stomach and chest and all they would do is shoot me up with morphine and send me home. I had finally had enough and was on the verge of just giving up, so i went back to the er and bluntly told the doctor i was not leaving until they fixed me. I was not even able to get out of bed, let alone keep up a household, take care of my daughter, and go to school or work. The docs at kaiser finally admitted me, yay. I was in the hospital for 48 hours and had all remaining possible tests done... just to find out they all came back normal. The docs threw their hands up and sent me to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist told me that he thought I was a little depressed but mostly completely anxiety ridden, and that it was causing severe irritable bowel syndrome. He started me on an anxiety/depression pill called remron. The nausea was gone within 2 weeks and I had my life back. I could not have been more greatful!!!

It has been almost 7 months that I have been on this medication and alas it has stopped working. I now sit and sob, staring at delicious plates of food, just waiting for a few minutes of no nausea so i can get something down. Its horrible. I have never been so miserable. I never even considered myself an anxious person, and now I have to question if it is even anxiety. :-(

I hope to one day live a normal life... but western medicine is failing me... what can we do?

Sorry this is so long... It feels so good to share my pain with those who are suffering as well but damn, im so sorry you all are going through this. please please please continue to share and update me on whats going on. My name is Alicia, and if anyone wants to contact me I would be thrilled to not go through this alone! i am _[removed]_

Thank-you all for responding to my post, it amazes me that Im not the only one stuck in this.I too have tried everything and everything just is passed on as "normal".I have also done a bit of homework on this and has anyone heard of so,e thing called "FAPS"? It has something to do with a glad in your brain that I cant spell or pernounce for that matter,something like Amaylagia? It is in the lower back portion of your brain that causes things like nausea or panic symptoms. You will have to look it up for yourselves. It is part of the nervous system I believe and falls under those disorders. But anyway look up FAPS and also "Problems with the Amaylagia" . Are any of you in the US? Im from Canada and our health care is a little different up here. My doctor also recommended that I should have been on some kind of anti-anxiety medication but I figured it would not work and I cant use them for the job that I do.

Hello, I am here because liek all you guys and girls i think i have somethign pretty close... my has sever cases of naseua... not all the time but at times.... i get feverish when this happens, and my stomach just curls or nurls or whatever the correct term is. It seems liek its gas but its from the sever naseua and stomach ache... I feel like I can not eat and always try to drink liqiuds to stay hydrated. But living days in annoying pain and always having to worry if it is going to happen and why I am unable to eat, let alone have an appetite is very annoying. I became a medical marijuana patient which really has helped, but its not always appropriate obviously. I am trying to do it less and less but the problem has come back and I remember why I was forced to turn to it in the first place. I do know in certain situations... (a girl i like, important meeting etc I do get nervous but this problem is more than just that) sometimes its so bad i do throw up even if i try and control myself not. It almost feels like food poisoning and I am afraid to eat... any suggestions on food, procedures, or medications to ask a doctor. And ps i think both my parents have some sort of problem... dad - hyperthyroidism.... and both anxiety etc Im 19 Im a male, asnd in wonderful shape, well now losing more weight than i would like to.... 15 lbs lighter than senior high school football season... no freshmen 15 weight gain almost the opposite...

I was interested to read about all your experiences as I seem to be going through the same thing at the moment and desperately want to get over it. I feel for you all.

I started experiencing sudden nausea in public situations about 6 months ago with no real pattern or triggers. In April I think I had a stomach virus according to the doctor which made me feel incredibly sick all night with stomach pains. This gradually improved over days but would suddenly return when I thought it had got better. The Doctor felt the virus was taking a time to leave my body. This was 10 weeks ago.

I'm still anxious about going out in case I don't feel well again - like one of the other posts says, meetings and car journeys are particularly bad and things like the cinema and eating out are all things I worry about in advance and have had to excuse myself from. I'm so fed up of not having a normal social life as this seems to be taking over. I don't know if it's still a physical problem or whether it's more anxiety related now! I have always had a phobia of being sick or even seeing people be sick and this has now got so much worse. I'm scared of what I eat in case it makes me ill and like I say I hate situations where I feel out of control in getting away ie. sitting in the middle of a row in the cinema etc.

I've been through some tough times emotionally over recent years and I have had problems before with panic attacks (when I was at school like the other gentleman had). Could this all be related or should I be pushing my Doctor to do more tests on me?? I get stomach pains too without obvious reason, severe head and neck ache, dizzy periods and really disturbed sleep. It's awful and I wish I could get better. The doctor has prescribed a nasal spray to cure any blockages and advised me to try coming off the pill which I've been off for 3 weeks now.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice!?

I really related to your posting. I can't wait to have my appointment next week (with my psychiatrist) I also am trying to locate a primary care doctor. It's much less stressful now that I am on my company's insurance. I want to get rid of this, once and for all. I have an apt with the "lady" doctor at the end of the month, I'm going to ask about a different pill, even though this started LONG before I knew what birth control was, I think maybe switching could help at least something. I also heard that you can develop food allergies and intolerances through life, I didn't know that, I'm going to try an isolate problem foods and see if that is causing some of the lower intestinal problems I've had the last few months. I just want someone to do a study on all of us!! We're a mess. lol.

not much personal experience, but my wife underwent chemo and suffered the expected nausea, for which many alternatives were discussed... since i haven't seen it mentioned here, yet, i thought i'd contribute one item: the chemo/radiation nurse said there is one medication that suppresses the memory of nausea, rather than the nausea itself. unfortunately, i can't recall what that agent's name is, but it is probably enough information to allow you to ask an oncologist or specializing nurse.

the reason i'm here is that a friend's child is suffering from middle-of-the-night stomach pain and nausea, sometimes accompanied by headache... the boy is 4, and an unlikely candidate for stress-related illness, ulcer, or emotionally connected syndromes. i know that's not much to go on, but it's all i have so far, except to say they've ruled out most obvious g.i. maladies and have begun pursuing possibilities of cancer... the overall timeframe is 7 months, at this point, and he's gone from 40lbs to 34lbs in that time.

thanks.

i just came across this page while researching my own stomach problems, and wow, why r there so many people who can't figure out what's wrong with them? i feel all your pain. i've had stomach problems that started about 5 years ago, i'm 28 now. it started out with heartburn, indigestion, and nausea from time to time. as time went on it just got worse to the point where i was nauseous all the time and have heartburn 24/7. i've tried every antacid and have been on soooo many meds. i've had every frickin test u could possibly think of: barium, nuclear tests, mri's, ultrasounds, endoscopies, colonoscopies, everything. i went to the doc on and off for like 2 years and then just gave up. they kept telling me have GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux disease), acid reflux, some inflammation in the stomach lining, but nothing serious, and just kept putting me on drugs. about 2.5 years ago they took my galbladder thinking that would do the trick. i also get these pains that i call attacks. they're right in the center of my abdomen, in the center of ur ribcage where they "V" together. the attacks last for 5-10 minutes and the pain gets so brutal sometimes that i have to bend down to the floor and pull my knees up to my chest. i've been taking ultram for years, it's a pain med, and that helps me with the nausea. i've never in my life had a problem taking any sort of pain med, codeine, percocet, whatever. now tho, it started a couple years ago or more, sometimes pain meds give me these severe stomach attacks. the last time i took codeine (this was the first occurrence) i ended up calling an ambulence b/c i was in so much pain from it i was throwing up and shaking and sweating. last december i had my thyroid removed, that was a whole other issue, well when i got out of surgery they shot me up with demoral (which i never had a problem with in the past) and it put me in god awful stomach pain. so then they shot me up with morphine (which also never bothered me in the past) and that was extremely painful as well. i can take percocet, or something like that, but only after i just ate. i don't understand why i have this reaction to pain meds when i never use to. i'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with my liver b/c it's located right where i get these attacks. i've also suffered from IBS my whole life if anyone needs info on that. it's a very embaressing disorder that u can't do much about.

An update. I started a new medication about a month ago, it's and anti-deppressant/anti-anxiety called "celexa" and I have had great success with it. I feel 75% better than I ever had in the last 11 years. It is a huge improvement for me. I am very happy. I wanted to share what I consider a success because to most people 75% probably doesn't sound very promising but for someone with a condition like we experience I think we all can say that it is life changing. I wish you all success with your condition.

I have similar problems myself. When I went through puberty I noticed my stomach started burning really bad a lot of times when I needed to take a sh*t but it was almost as if I was constipated and it'd burn as if someone stuck a match to me when I finally was able to go but then it was as if I had diarrhea. Nothing too serious there although I was at 185 pounds then dropped down to around 145 in a month when I'm 5'7" but nonetheless I passed it off as nothing. I'm back up to about 160 but still "too skinny" as everyone tells me and I can clearly see since I can count my ribs and all. Well here recently at the age of twenty one I got extremely sick, with what I think was probably food poisoning from observations of family members who had it before, and was asleep off and on for four sick days from work since I was projectile vomiting and had really bad diarrhea and muscle pains and extreme weakness where I couldn't even sit or stand for longer than fifteen seconds and I even vomited Pepto Bismal and just the stomach acid in my stomach would trigger it and I'd do it six or seven times in a row until I was simply dry heaving and then there was the extreme fatigue. So it came to pass and I went back to work although ever since I've constantly wanted to vomit when I eat and when I get hungry I can't tell if it's nausea or hunger anymore. Now the past few days it's escalated to my stomach burning so bad and such sharp jolts of pain I zoned out most of the day when it started in the middle of everything and almost fell to the ground from the pain which is unusual for me because I can take broom sticks to the head like it's nothing and anything I eat just makes it worse and makes me really ill and I'm so very tired, even a lot more than before which I thought would be an impossibility. I can't remember when it was I first started getting extremely tired since it's been that long but it was around puberty and it's so bad I sleep through multiple alarms which is really bad on my job because I've been four hours late before but luckily my boss is really understanding. It seems like the really bad part is starting to wind down however but I'm still having the other symptoms from the post-food poisoning period and a lot of times I can't even move to get up when I wake up because of exhaustion.

Through it all I've never went to see a doctor because it's too expensive and it's nothing that's killed me yet and now after reading all of these posts I think it would of been a waste of time anyway.