I was wondering if anyone can help or share their experiences.  I do have a doctor’s appointment in 2 weeks, but I’m going crazy thinking about it.

I am 32 years old, due to missed miscarriages, I have had 3 D&C’s in the last 3 years.  But I had a healthy baby is 2010.

I had a natural miscarriage in July 2011, I bled for exactly 2 week and then started my period 4 weeks later.  My periods before my miscarriage were very regular and lasted about 5 days, I had a 28 day cycle.  However, my periods after this miscarriage have been extremely irregular and very light.  The first few periods were medium flow, but I noticed the blood was dark brown, not bright red like it used to be (sorry if it’s TMI).  Although I have been told by my gynaecologist that it’s normal to experience irregular periods after a miscarriage, he said it was the body’s way of regulating itself, I am still extremely worried.  It is now 8 months after my miscarriage and I am still experiencing irregular periods, but now they are extremely light.  The last 3 months were 25 days, 23 days, 21 day cycle and this month it was a 20 day cycle.  The bleeding has become lighter every month and is always dark brown in colour.  This month, I only spotted for 2 days, I didn’t need a pad, I experienced white/brown discharge with stringy bits, but only when I wipe (again, sorry if it’s TMI). 

In January I had a smear test and an ultrasound and was told that everything looked ok.  But I am wondering if I could have developed scar tissue from my previous D&C’s which are now affecting my periods?  I will be seeing the doctor in 2 weeks and will ask her to check, but does anyone know how this is done?  Is it through blood test?  Also, could my hormones still be unbalanced form a miscarriage that happened 8 months ago? 

My husband and I want to TTC again, but due to my irregular and unusual periods, I have no idea when I am ovulating.  Nothing in my lifestyle has changed, I am not stressed (well only about this problem), I am not run down, I eat healthily etc.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Your fine, maybe your period just decided to come in a bit earlier than usual :) No worries.

Thank you for your response Hisprincess01, I ended up calling the doctor and managed to get an appointmnet last week. He did another ultra sound and said everything looked ok. He told me that i was about to ovulate in about 2 days....which was suprisingly early (CD 8). I also did a blood test to check my prolactin levels and thyroid function, everything cam back normal. Apparently, periods can become unregular even in women who are usually very regualr.

Even though i was told i was ovulating i didnt have any of the usual symtoms that i use dti have. I guess i will have to learn to re-read my body. Anway, husband and i BD last few days, so fingers crossed for s BFP.

Hey, Just wanted to say that I feel like its me who wrote this message. I have had a miscarriage two years ago, November 2010 and still my normal periods have not returned. I am also 32 years old and before that I was fine, very regular periods, although quite painful and heavy. I had all the tests done and everything is normal. And ultrasounds indicate that I am ovulating. I don't know about you, but it seems like in my case the pain from the right side where used to hurt me, has gone, and I have no pain at all. Month after month my period gets lighter and lighter. I do nt know, maybe our bodies need more time to adjust.

I had the same thing happen and its on for more than 3 years. I had a later pregnancy (this may not happen to you) and had a missed miscarriage. I remember slipping my foot on a 2" step when helping my BF at the time carry a 2 x 4 plank of wood early on (approx. 3 weeks). I felt something slightly and I never forgot it. It may be related, but as far as conception goes, I did concieve on the first attempt. However, due to its pecular nature of darker discharge and shortened cycles, I am concerned about blood flow the the placenta as well as the health of my placenta during the term of pregnancy. I am 37 and not sure if I should try again soon. I hope and wish you guys all the best, but I am happy to note that all is well with you.

BTW, my OBGYN was supprised about my conception after the first try. Not sure what that really meant but I will be asking him for sure on my next visit. Will keep you posted.

Hi, I know this post is over a year old, but I’m case you still haven’t resolved it, I wanted to mention Asherman’s syndrome. This is uterine scarring, like you suggest and I had it. I, too was alerted to it because of dark coloured and scant periods. It took me over a year to get diagnosed. Now here’s the thing: UTERINE SCAR TISSUE CAN’T BE SEEN ON AN ULTRASOUND. Most GPs think it can, but they have no idea about Asherman’s syndrome. They write it off because they think it’s rare, but it’s a lot more common than they think. The best way of diagnosing it is via hysteroscopy (camera into the uterus during day surgery) and it can also be treated at the same time this way too, by using micro-scissors. However, it’s EXTREMELY important that you seek out an A-lister specialist to carry out the procedure (usually a fertility specialist, but only some can actually do this procedure properly). An inexperienced practitioner can actually cause more scar tissue. There’s great Facebook support groups. Good luck.