Hi, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with larynx cancer. It seems that it is in advanced stage since the doctor is recommending a radical surgical procedure. I don’t even know what this means. Can anyone tell me what this is? I would appreciate all your replies considering this topic. Thanks.

Hello. Larynx cancer is not so rare like some people may think. Your friend’s lymphatic nodes are affected by the cancer. That is why there is a need for radical surgery. In that case, all the lymphatic nodes from the neck will be removed. Opposite of this is selective neck dissection where some of the neck lymphatic nodes are being removed. Sometimes, cancer in nodes is not visible, so the surgeon must send tissue samples to the pathology for further examination. Even if few cells are present, lymph nodes must be removed. This can help in staging the tumor. I hope everything will be all right.