Do you kiss a$$? Do you dislike people who do? If you knew kissing some butt would further your career, would you do it??

Enquiring minds want to know.

I am dead set against it.

And, may I add, that I am so happy to have such a wonderful forum in which to state my opinion. We are so lucky that PH provides this to us, and really should think about giving him another gift.

I do not do it and do not respect those who do.

When I do something "above and beyond" for a boss it is because he/she has earned my respect and admiration--never because I am trying to "earn" theirs.

My boss's boss told me while I was being spanked for going to HR about something that he found it surprising that I would do that considering my usual "No bullsh*t" method of operation.

Does that mean yes or no?

I hate blatent a$$ kissing. However, I have had people think that I am a$$ kissing when I really don't think that I am. I often go out of my way to be involved in outside events involving the university, students, faculty and/or staff. Some people think that by me doing this, I am kissing a$$. So, I guess it depends. In my view, an a$$ kisser is someone who is constantly complimenting a superior about anything and everything. "My that's a lovely tie you have on today sir". Blech

Me?

Kiss azz - No

Kick azz - Yes

NO!!! and NO!!!

People needle me about it all the time and it's the last thing I want to do. When I give someone a compliment, I mean it. Even if it is about their tie ;) When I go out of my way to help someone, even at work, it's because I want to, not because it's going to get me somewhere. If it does, fine, but that's not what I'm about. Somebody who knows me really well told me one time that people today are just so used to insincerity and superficiality, especially in the corporate world, that they don't know what to do with you when you're actually nice just because.

Now people who are obviously fakey-fake and kissy kissy with the boss just to get ahead make me want to :puke:

No bloody way to either.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Better to die on your feet that live on your knees.
Well, now that depends

Considering that my career is completed, I'll be honest. No, I kissed no butt. Do I dislike buttkissers? No. I don't dislike them...I just don't respect them.
Now then...let's hear from those who have had their butts kissed. Maybe it'll be a different tune! I think I might like it!

As a business owner I have had to kiss ass on occassion. But let me add rarely. I avoid it if possible and certainly don't expect me to do it twice. Then I'll kick your ass.

As a business owner I see it as a little different--your business might sink or swim because of that company or individual you're dealing with.
In the corporate world, I just don't think it's worth it. Even if it tanks my career.
I have a saying for my friends/family: I love doing stuff for them until they start taking me for granted/takin advantage. I had a boss who was a friend who started doing that and started taking advantage of me. Lost both my respect and my friendship.