I need advice. I am 56 female. Felt little pain in my ovaries. Few days ago I went to the gyn and she told me I must have hysterectomy. Is hysterectomy ablation of the uterus? Is it painful and long operation? I haven’t talk to my gyn yet…we agreed to have a talk the next week, so she haven’t told me anything about it yet.

Hi there,
hysterectomy is ablation of the uterus- they remove with surgical procedure your uterus. There are four types of hysterectomy performed- depends on the problem being treated: they can remove the cervix, ovaries and fallopian tubes. But hysterectomy is not the only solution for your problem… I mean doctor will decide that… all I am saying, talk to her about that and find out if there is any other solution, because ablation of the uterus isn’t an easy procedure. The hysterectomy procedure varies from the problem being treated… from short stay period in hospital and no visible scars (in case of vaginal hysterectomy- when the uterus has already descended towards the vagina), but in some other more serious cases there is longer period in hospital (7- 10 days) and more visible scars (abdominal hysterectomy in the case of a radical hysterectomy).
There are some short term risk in ablation of uterus, which may require a woman to return to hospital and treatment with antibiotics, urinary problems, reaction to anaesthesia,… Long- term risks is prolapse. Prolapse is descent of an organ downwards (when the uterus is removed, for example descent of bladder is possible). Besides prolapse there is also hormone consequence- menopause, actually is called surgical menopause, since after the ablation of the uterus and perhaps other organs, symptoms of menopause occur, such as heat flashes, vaginal dryness, increased risk of osteoporosis and heart disease, fatigue, night sweats, irritability, insomnia, depression and sadness, … These emotion, typical of menopause can be quite frustrating (for people around you too!), so the emotions after hysterectomy can have physiological cause, so it is important to have supportive family and/or friends. For menopause symptoms, some doctors even suggest hormone therapy. Some women experience even problems in sex life, thinking losing uterus means losing their femininity… that is not true!!!
However, I hope I helped you just a little.