Hello! After experiencing strange prolonged periods and cramping that I have never had, I sought doctor’s help. She performed an ultrasound and found I suffer from ademyosis. She told me hysterectomy is usually performed for such conditions, however, I have only one child and was thinking of at least another one. Are there any other options, hormonal therapies or something? I would really appreciate any advice!

Although hysterectomy is the best solution to provide relief from the symptoms there are other procedures. To get rid of the cramps, Lupron can be used, but experience showed that the cramping would come back after discontinuing this drug. Endometrial ablation is done to get rid of the abnormal bleeding but the cramps would stay then. I remember my sister was told that she could use Lupron to reduce the amount of adenomyosis and then resect the remaining areas. However, my sister had two children already and didn’t want anymore, so she underwent hysterectomy anyway.