Hello, folks. My friend has been suspected to have legionella and he will go under antibiotic regime. I would like to know what alternative antibiotics are used here for. I will appreciate if someone could tell me some more info about this. Thank you for answering to my post. Bye, folks!

Hello. The goal of antibiotic treatment here is to eliminate the infection as soon as it is suspected. Laboratory results must not be waited. Pneumonia shows very soon improvement. Improvement must appear in 24 to 48 hours. The antibiotic of choice is erythromycin which is often combined with secondary antibiotic, usually it is rifampin. Sometimes, tetracycline can be combined with rifampin. I hope your friend will be all right. Please, let me know his progress. Good luck with all!

Hi, everyone. Antibiotic are obligatory when it comes to the treatment of Legionella pneumophila. There are some other antibiotics that can also be used. Some of them are: fluorinated quinolones, clarithromycin, doxycycline and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. Doctor will decide for one of the medications. It depends on the severity of the infection and previously taken antibiotics. Allergies on certain meds can also have an effect on this decision. I hope I’ve helped. Good luck to your friend! Bye!