My father is 56 and recently he had a heart attack. We were all worried about him but he is ok now. I would like to know more about heart attack in general. Thanks

I am happy to hear that your father is doing fine. A heart attack occurs when the blood supply to part of the heart muscle (the myocardium) is severely reduced or stopped. Myocardial infarction is the medical term for heart attack. A heart attack is also called a coronary thrombosis or coronary occlusion. The reduction or stoppage of blood supply happens when one or more of the coronary arteries supplying the heart muscle are blocked. This is usually caused by the buildup of deposits of fat-like substances, the plaque. This process is called atherosclerosis. The plaque can burst, tear or rupture which creates a "snag" where a blood clot forms. This blocks the artery and leads to a heart attack. If the blood supply is cut off for more than a few minutes, muscle cells suffer permanent injury and die which leads to killing or disabling someone, depending on how much heart muscle is damaged. In some cases a coronary artery temporarily contracts or goes into spasm and when this happens, the artery narrows and blood flow to part of the heart muscle decreases or stops. A severe spasm can cause a heart attack. I hope that I was helpful with this information.