Hello everyone,

I know a lot of stuff when it comes to heart diseases, disorders and different types of heart conditions, but this was the first time ever that I've heard about this type of angina called a Prinzmetal's angina. It caught me off guard but I suppose that there are always things that you don't know, or even there's more to the things that you thought you knew everything about.

So is there anyone here who could tell me more about this, I'm really curious to know. Right now I'm interested to know how does it occur and what triggers it?

Hey Adria,

The chest pain of Prinzmetal's angina is caused by coronary artery spasm, an abnormal or involuntary constriction of the muscle in a coronary artery. This spasm makes the diameter of the artery smaller, restricting the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart, causing chest pain.

This is actually a very, very rare condition. About 4 people in every 100,000 people has it. I'm afraid that it is not known what causes these artery spasms. Since there weren't many cases, nobody bothered really a lot to find out what is causing this so there currently is no way to prevent this.

Hey Adria,

Stradivarius has a point, it is unknown what causes these spasms to form. However, they may be due to problems with the thin lining of the blood vessels called the endothelium. Usually the artery lining produces a chemical that widens the blood vessels allowing the blood to flow through with ease. If the artery lining is damaged or isn't working properly, the blood vessels may narrow more easily, which may cause a coronary spasm.

Again, this is only a theory because there is no concrete medical explanation on how do these spasms appear, but this theory makes sense, if you ask me.

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your replies, Stradivarius and Alan, I was hoping that someone knows more about this matter so they would explain it to me. Okay, so there isn't really a known cause of this. I think that even if there is just a single person in the world affected by this condition, somebody would still have to figure out what caused this to happen. It's such a shame not to know what causes it exactly.

Do you know what triggers the chest pain in people with Prinzmetal's angina? Is it the same like with normal angina or is it different?

Prinzmetal’s angina occurs when a person is at rest. That usually happen between midnight and early morning. Those attacks can be very painful and this angina also can refer to: variant angina, prinzmtal’s variant angina and angina inversa.

This angina is rare and it represents two of more than 100 cases of angina and usually occurs in very young patients than those who have other kinds of angina.

It is very painful and it is almost impossible not to feel the symptoms of it.

It should be treated like any other heart condition.

Keep in touch and good luck. 

Hi there.

I know that Prinzmetal’s angina is very rare disease. It can happen at night during your sleep or even while you are taking a rest. In that case your heart arteries suddenly tighten or narrow. This can cause a lot of pain to you so generally you are not able to tell that you haven’t had any symptoms caused by this angina. In this case you should immediately go and see your doctor because Prinzmetal’s angina is something that you really need to treat as soon as possible.

But it is not so easy to understand or to find out the causes of this angina.

We are talking about coronary spams right?

Most patients with coronary spams are between 50 to 60 years old. The condition usually has been linked with:

• spams in other arteries that can cause condition such as migraine,
  • smoking,
  • drinking a lot of alcohol,
  • menstrual cycles,
  • low magnesium,
  • excessive thyroid hormones, etc.

But to diagnose it you need to wear a holter monitor for at least 24 hours. Doctors suggest you to take it for 48 hours. The monitor will record your heart’s electrical impulses even when you are sleeping. That will help your doctor determine