Hello :). Last week was my birthday, 18th birthday. My mother threw a very big party for me, and since all my friends know that I wanted some pet, they bought me a dog. They bought me a beagle. He is so lovely, his name is Ricky. I am very young and I don’t know so much about pets, especially about the dogs. But, soon as I got him, I went to the pet shop to buy him a food. I bought some canned food, because in the pet shop, they told me that this food is the best. Yesterday, he was eating five times. Is this too much or not? How much canned food does my dog need? 

Hello. First of all, I am really glad that your wish finally came true and that you have a dog. It is such a nice thing, you will see very soon. About your dog eating plan –  I don’t support it, at all. I suggest you to try raw food, because I am feeding my dog with raw food for a long time, and so far, he didn’t had any big health issue at all. Feeding your dog with five cans of food is too, but too much! It is not healthy. I suppose that you haven’t read the ingredients? You have to do this. This is not a critic, it is only a suggestion. I think that you should give your dog maximum two cans per day. That is more than enough! 

Hi there!

Keep good care of that dog. Don’t be one of those owners who gets a pet as a present and then gets bored with it in less than a year.

I agree with Dog Whisperer that you should consider raw feeding. I’m not so sure if that’s a great idea if your dog is still a puppy though. You told us nothing about the dog’s age, is he/ she a puppy?

That’s also something that we need to know before we can determine your dog’s daily food requirements.

So, it’s a beagle, I assume that’s like 22- 25 pounds if he’s an adult dog?

I have a beagle. He is four years old. I feed him with raw food as much as I can and I can tell you that this way of feeding is very flattering for beagles. I notice that mine has his coat shinier and his immune system stronger since I started feeding him with raw food.
When it comes to canned food, I usually give him half of that medium can as a treat. But I don’t use canned food as his main source of feeding.
I think that maybe one big can in the evening is enough for an adult beagle. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I assume that it was your birthday, because you have this dog (you made a mistake up there, but that is not important that much :))).  Do you really want this dog? I mean, you are too young, and you will need to spend a lot of time with that dog as well. It is like a new member of your family, and you need to take care of him every day, not just month or two. It is not a toy.

About your question, God, you really need to be careful. That is obviously too much food for one day. You don’t want your dog to get fat, right? It is much easier to learn how to feed him properly, than forcing him on some diet program while he is young. My advice is to consider raw food, and let someone to help you, because you don’t know that much about your dog. Am I right? 

I am glad that you have a new member, but I have to agree with some members – I don’t think that you take this serious as you should. Having a pet is a very big responsibility. It is not just feeding him five times a day, give him ball to play with it – no way. You should think twice. Second thing, canned food can be ok, I am for raw food, but I think that you won’t prepare it properly. But, that is way too much canned food for one day. You have to learn what this can do to your dog. Be careful! 

I assume the birthday was last week. I didn’t even notice it until DS991 mentioned it.

Anyway, five times is definitely too much. And are you sure you want to feed your dog with canned food? That may not be the best option. You should consider raw feeding. It’s way healthier for your dog’s digestive system and his overall health than canned food.

And how old is your dog? Is he a puppy or..?

I assume it’s a puppy cause I doubt you would think that it’s ok to feed an adult dog five times a day.

Puppies do need to eat more often that adult dogs, but even for them, five times is too much.