What is the best type or method to use when doing speed work. I want to do some speed work but unsure what type to do.

I have access to a track so 400's and 200 interval's are what I have in mind.

I only do fartleks and tempo run. I rarely do intervals because it's hard to find level ground that isn't a track in GA.

It depends on what distances you're training for. If you're training for shorter races then I'd suggest doing 800's and down. If for longer races then, 1600's, 1200's down to 400's.
Coached track and CC for 12 years. If you want some more information, or even some time of schedule, PM me.

i like pyramid runs on the track 200 with 200 recovery 400 with 200 recovery 600 with 400 recovery 800 with 400 recovery and back on down.

i warm up with an easy mile
do the work out
cool down with a mile

another one i like is a mile warm up then'
1 minute hard 1 min easy
for like 10-20 repeats

mile cool down
i would do the first mile easy then start the workout on the :00 to keep it easy good workout

I've only been doing speedwork for 8 weeks or so. I'm training for a mararthon and usually do one or two mile intervals (I'm up to 5x1 and 2x2) once a week, and a tempo run (up to 4 miles) once a week. Others that I meet at the track are training for shorter races and are doing mostly 800s. Speedwork sucks, but I can tell it's making a difference! Good luck. :)

Work up to where you can run 10x400 with even times (+/- 4 sec). I think that is the basic speed workout. Once you get the hang of things and can run consistent times, then you could start mixing things up with 200s, 800s, and 1600s. Some running guru dude told me that a 400 is the right time/distance for getting your 'feel'. If you jump into the longer ones first, you might not run them as efficiently (ie run lap 1 @ 90secs, then lap 2 at 110s for an 'average of 100s - the 100 lap avg and 200s 800 time would be misleading as to what your actual pace is) I have been doing speed workouts for over a year and I definitely see their benefit.

I couldnt agree with you more Flarunner about speed workout training for longer or shorter distances.........Us Exercise Physiologists have to stick together!!! try running them at temp0 pace... 5 k pace and Vdot pace.