Hey all.

So I have just started running as a means to get fit again.

I am a smoker (rolling tobacco), but I would consider myself a light smoker.. around 5 thinly rolled a day. I have already cut down to 1 a day, max 2.

Anyway, I find I can only run/jog/walk for 3km before then im stuffed :( ..

I burn about 150-200 calories per 30m run.. Friends of mine are running 10k+ and burning 500-1000 calories... This is where I want to be.

Is it normal to struggle this much in the beginning ?

Thanks :)

It is absolutely normal to struggle in the beginning. It takes time and dedication to build your fitness as a runner. When I first started 6.5 years ago, it was difficult for me to finish 1600 meters without stopping. Don't worry, if you are consistent with your training, you will see results.

Some tips:
*Try to consume a decent amount of carbohydrates if you aren't already. This is great fuel for runners.
*Make sure you hydrate. Take your body weight (in lbs.) and divide by 2. This is about how many ounces of water you should drink daily.
*Build up the amount that you run slowly. If you do too much too soon, you may get injured.

Congrats on Starting! You've Accomplished the hardest part.

At first youre going to deal with frustration and pain. Similar to anything in life. My best advice is to listen to your body and take your time. Your friends didnt start off running 10k. they had to work their way up to that point.

Stay Consistent and youll get there!

Hope for the best.