Am I just totally lame at running? I guess my goal for this first half marathon of mine has been nothing except for finishing it without walking. I want to run the whole thing. I am currently running at about an 11 minute mile. I did a 10K two weeks ago and did 10:33 miles and finished at 64 minutes.

Everyone here seems so fast. Should I be shooting for more?????

That's not lame! Everyone starts somewhere and it's important to set goals that are challenging, yet still attainable. Don't get caught up in what other people are doing - the best thing for your running is to do what is appropriate for your skill level.

I agree with MED... Don't worry about your times!

The fact that you are running 11 minute miles means exactly that...

You are RUNNING.

You are covering ground under your own power, while almost the entire human population (at least the Western World) is sitting on the couch watching CSI or something.

You are in the top 1% of runners in the world if you can run a mile, much less the great feat of finishing a 10K in 64 minutes!

As we say at ordinaryrunner.com, JUST KEEP MOVING!

And see my sig line below if you want to take a look at a website for folks who aren't exactly the elite runners of the world!

i agree! everyone runs at their own pace and eventually that pace becomes a faster and more steady. your goals will change with experience and increased mileage. trying to force speed is the fastest way to an injury that may be long lasting. take your time, you will see gradual improvements that are very gratifying, really.

I actually started running at age 40 and was running 12 min. miles. I have gotten that down to 9:30 sometimes. You are doing great! Not having to walk is a good goal for your first half. Good luck!

To reach your potential in running (and most other endurance sports in general) requires a long period of time (several years) assuming you are training consistently and progressively...so be patient. As what I've found, you can't rush things in distance running. Set goals that are challenging yet realistic enough so that it can be accomplished in your designated timeframe. For example if you're running a 64 min 10k, a good short term/year goal would be say, breaking 1 hour or hitting 55 mins rather than a 40 min 10k (in your case that may be long term)
Like what MED pointed out, everyone has to start somewhere.

Good luck

Fast is in the eye of the beholder. Judge yourself by how you feel and your progress (whether distance, time, not walking, what have you). Comparing yourself to others is not fair to yourself. Everyone has different builds, different reasons to run, different goals, different styles... I think you get my point. Runners are like snowflakes and fingerprints - no two are alike.

Enjoy what you do, and set your own goals. And above all don't get down. Do those, and you'll do fine.

Welcome! :)

:1:
When I run races I'm not really running against the other runners. I'm running against my own time and expectations.
And I'm the snowflake that someone peed on (probably my dog).

fast aint the point here. You get faster by running more, some people though have greater talent and ability.

Running is a lot more important than not. You are faster in every race than everyone who quits, who sits on the side lines or does not sign up

Just work towards the goals you can set and achieve. That's it. No one should judge another if there's hard work and dedication involved.

If you constantly compare yourself to everyone else, it'll drive you crazy. Really. It will.

Welcome and good luck!

:D

my husband has a this phrase for me. "you're not trying to be the best. You're trying to be the best that you can be"

once in awhile think about where you were 6 months ago and surprise yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back once in awhile. When I feel like I could be doing better I sometimes have to remind myself that I would have been proud of myself if I was in my 20s and seeing what I'm capable of now.

Totally respectable. Listen, Christine, "when you compare yourself against perfection, you're just setting yourself up for a fall."

There's a principle called "directional relativity" (from a book called Out of the Labyrinth, by J. Donald Walters), and it really applies to running. What's "good" for you is stretching the boundaries of YOUR OWN abilities. That's what will give you joy.

We're all going in the same direction, toward greater ability. Some of us (not me) are farther along, that's all. So join the flow and enjoy where you are; you'll be somewhere else someday, then enjoy being <there>. Best of success to you.

I think everyone else that has replied has said what I would have said. Just keep on running and the speed will come.

Speed is relative...Ditto on what everyone else has said!

Anyone who is out there running has my respect, regardless of how fast/slow they percieve themselves to be. As several others have already said, it's getting out there that's THE important thing. Be proud!!!