I am a passionate runner. My husband is too. We enjoy running with our friends. I gave birth to a beautiful little girl a few months ago. My weight is some 10 pounds above my normal level. I am thinking of starting to run say, 5km and later 10k. Is it safe to do so for a woman in my condition? I am looking forward to my first race after delivery.

If you are breast feeding your baby and I suppose that you are smart enough to do so, I would advise you not to do so at this stage. The two most important periods of someones life is time spent in a womb and time during which we are breast fed. Things we get at those times are irreplaceable and can never be compensated for the rest of our lives. Therefore you should not do anything to compromise that. Running 5k or 10k can seriously jeopardize your lactation abilities. Remember that you have run the hardest of all marathons when you carried and gave birth to the baby. The second hardest you are running just now. Dont impose too much stress on your body. There will be a plenty of time for that once you stop breast feeding your baby. Take long walks instead. You will burn fat in the process, get some cardio benefit and still be ready for one of the most important tasks in your life, feeding your baby with precious nutrients only mother can give.